• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeding the guinea pigs at TEAS

Yes this is all really helpful, and its brilliant to take the focus away from the weighing and measuring and giant bowls of pellets that some new owners get hung up on, and think more about what guinea pigs want to do naturally- nothing makes piggies happier than having a big pile of mixed leaves chucked in a big heap of hay and let them get on with it! Then you get to see that cute little digging-paws behaviour while they rummage for the best bits :)
I love all my pets for being animals and I love to see them behaving in as naturally a way as possible! It makes me so sad when I see new owners getting upset and stressed, because they aren't sure if they're doing it right. If the animal is happy, then I am happy too! Animals live for the moment and as long as it's good, then smile and enjoy them! I agree, there is nothing better than seeing them digging away for the bits they want! 😊

Bill and Ted spend most of their time on grass in the milder months. In winter I go for out walking to find good grass to give on a daily basis. It’s their favourite food, they do eat a bigger percentage of veggies than normally recommended on the forum. I just can’t get them to eat 80% hay since their dental issues
I just wish we could get away from this 80% hang up! The biggest part of their diet should be hay, but it doesn't have to be if they can't eat it for a short while, or even a longer time. Our Tilly probably eats 5% hay as it's a bit hard to eat when as Simon puts it, her incisors are in different postcodes! 🤣 I love that man's sense of humour! However, she loves her veggies, she forages in the hay for tiny nuggets and she loves grass! She wasn't able to eat anything normally for 18 months, prior to coming to TEAS, yet is a strong and healthy girl, with the biggest zest for life!

I just wish we could get away from this 80% hang up! The biggest part of their diet should be hay, but it doesn't have to be if they can't eat it for a short while, or even a longer time. Our Tilly probably eats 5% hay as it's a bit hard to eat when as Simon puts it, her incisors are in different postcodes! 🤣 I love that man's sense of humour! However, she loves her veggies, she forages in the hay for tiny nuggets and she loves grass! She wasn't able to eat anything normally for 18 months, prior to coming to TEAS, yet is a strong and healthy girl, with the biggest zest for life!
Oh and she arrived at TEAS weighing in at 625g and now hovers around the 950g mark! Tilly is what TEAS is all about!

Its true that many people get too hung up on exact ratios and amounts, and although rough guidelines are useful for new owners there's no one-size-fits all approach to feeding that suits everyone and everypig.
I feel that we feed a bit more hay and a bit less veg than some people because it suits bloaty Puggle better, she hasnt bloated in over a year now and has gained 200g since her last bloaty episode since we feed more hay and a bit less veg, but that is just for a herd where the slimmest piggy is a bloaty girl and not for everyone!
Just as a matter of interest last night after a post on another thread querying food intake I roughly calculated what mine eat over a month- looks like we feed 75% hay, 22% veg and 3% pellets.
Not that I've ever weighed or measured daily feeds and I dont intend to start doing now, but dividing what we buy in a month by the number of piggies and number of days thats roughly what they must eat! Which isnt 80% hay and isnt 50g of veg per day either, but they are still all quite hefty and in good health :)

Its true that many people get too hung up on exact ratios and amounts, and although rough guidelines are useful for new owners there's no one-size-fits all approach to feeding that suits everyone and everypig.
I feel that we feed a bit more hay and a bit less veg than some people because it suits bloaty Puggle better, she hasnt bloated in over a year now and has gained 200g since her last bloaty episode since we feed more hay and a bit less veg, but that is just for a herd where the slimmest piggy is a bloaty girl and not for everyone!
Just as a matter of interest last night after a post on another thread querying food intake I roughly calculated what mine eat over a month- looks like we feed 75% hay, 22% veg and 3% pellets.
Not that I've ever weighed or measured daily feeds and I dont intend to start doing now, but dividing what we buy in a month by the number of piggies and number of days thats roughly what they must eat! Which isnt 80% hay and isnt 50g of veg per day either, but they are still all quite hefty and in good health :)
It’s all about what works for the piggies and for us too! I also think they’re capable of knowing what they need and what’s good for them. I find some avoid larger amounts of certain foods, even if put in their cage and maybe eat it over a longer period of time.

We do what what Debbie does in feeding the piggies. We feed them quite a lot of veggie salad leaves and plenty of cucumber and lettuce everyday. They also eat loads of hay but less pellets even though the bowls are always there. Yes we did have 2 piggies that suffered UTI and bladder/kidney stones in the past, but Simon have always ruled out that it was because of the food they eat. Although we give the current piggies less spinach now and stop giving them parsley. Hopefully the 3 piggies we have won't suffer with UTI and stones. Bunny who passed away on May 2018 had bladder sludge and stones. She suffered with mouth thrush due to taking too much antibiotics and this was stopping her to eat. We eventually had to put her to sleep because she really was not getting any food and nutrients because of the thrush.

I find hay such a difficult thing to measure. My two get 2 or 3 huge lumps each day in their hay barn area, some of it is definitely eaten but other bits are trampled into the base layer. I like to fill the hay barn area to a foot high and see them burrow inside it. All you can see sometimes is little twitches from the hay, they disappear 🤣
We buy a huge bale from the local organic farmer about every 2/3 months, it’s great hay and has a mixture of wild flowers and different grasses too

I find hay such a difficult thing to measure. My two get 2 or 3 huge lumps each day in their hay barn area, some of it is definitely eaten but other bits are trampled into the base layer. I like to fill the hay barn area to a foot high and see them burrow inside it. All you can see sometimes is little twitches from the hay, they disappear 🤣
We buy a huge bale from the local organic farmer about every 2/3 months, it’s great hay and has a mixture of wild flowers and different grasses too
Yes we never measure hay either, we buy 20kg of haybox every 4 weeks plus a 3kg bag of pillow wad meadow for when we start running low and I just throw some in! The hay trays and hay loft and any hay filled cardboard boxes or hay cubes get topped up with meadow hay twice a day, and I plonk a big pile on timothy hay on the hay room floor twice a day with or after every veggie meal- I just roughly calculated 23kg hay divided by 8 piggies divided by 28 days is about 100g of hay each per day, but I've never measured it at all, I just know we use 20-23kg hay and less than a 1.5kg bag of pellets every month. And the piggies definitely arent starving despite the outraged wheeking greedy snouts begging at the bars whenever we open the fridge or rustle a bag :)

In my case, it's easy to know if they are eating hay coz I have to refill the hay racks everyday. They have 2 hay racks screwed on walls of 2nd floor hutch (this I always refill every day), 1 hay rack screwed on the wall of bottom floor hutch, and then 2 hay racks on c&c at the floor. They also have meadow hay on top of puppy pads on the floor (changed every 2 days). Most of the hay eaten are located at their other area under the ratan chair. I mainly put meadow hay there and have to refill/replace the meadow hay there every night during cleaning time.

I always make sure wherever they stay in the living room (they are free running piggies), there are hay areas where they can eat and/or sleep. I don't really measure how much hay they eat but with the amount of cleaning/changing/refilling I do every day, I'm certain they eat loads of it.

It’s all about what works for the piggies and for us too! I also think they’re capable of knowing what they need and what’s good for them. I find some avoid larger amounts of certain foods, even if put in their cage and maybe eat it over a longer period of time.
I have noticed before, if we feed lots of veg, the pigs do leave some until later, and will munch on hay, so they must know hay helps digest food because of the fibre. Obviously they don't know why, they just know to do it. Problem is Dot most the time, she goes on a rampage for Bernies bits he's saved, and then puffs up to defend it. She has never once even when sick, gone off food much, not with bloat, not with a uterine tumour

I am so glad I read this thread. I've found it super helpful! We have only had our piggies for a couple of weeks, and I have been going into a bit of information overwhelm lately. All these ratios and measurements etc were just starting to seem a little too much to master completely. Don't get me wrong, all the guidelines and charts to get an idea of what vege is high in what and which can be fed more often than others, are SUPER helpful and I will continue to reference them and take things into account as needed...but I feel like this thread has also reminded me of the importance of paying attention to my unique piggies and what works for them too...because so far they do seem to be thriving, even though I have not yet managed to get their diet "perfect". As mentioned by others, I have also noticed them eating what they want and leaving the rest for later. Even when we have given them an occasional berry, they have devoured the first part of it with great gusto and then simply left the rest for later. So I do agree that they seem to know what works for themselves too. So much food for thought. I love this forum and all the amazing insights shared😍

This was last nights dinner!

View attachment 129771
Lucky piggies!
I’ll have to do the same for myself in a couple of days, going back to being a healthy vegetarian and not a lazy meat eater! :)) This thread’s so interesting, my cats are eating much more meat than dry food as they’re older and I’d read on a cat forum much better for the kidneys etc. Had never thought about the pigs with such a dry diet but can definitely understand how it’d help.
Hope the pigs enjoyed their greenery :D

Lucky piggies!
I’ll have to do the same for myself in a couple of days, going back to being a healthy vegetarian and not a lazy meat eater! :)) This thread’s so interesting, my cats are eating much more meat than dry food as they’re older and I’d read on a cat forum much better for the kidneys etc. Had never thought about the pigs with such a dry diet but can definitely understand how it’d help.
Hope the pigs enjoyed their greenery :D

My cat has never eaten wet food. This is her choice and in fact I was told she wouldn't even eat it as a small kitten either. She does drink well though and demands I turn on the outdoor tap for her, so she can drink (and shower) from it!

A few years ago I took in some guinea pigs that had belonged to a friend, who had sadly passed away. One of her guinea pigs had been suffering from bladder issues all of her life. After she came to live with me, she never had another UTI, so I do truly believe that the fact that I feed such a wet diet is very beneficial to health and particularly bladder health.

Back