• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Female being mean to the others?

Puddles1999

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good evening!
So I have three girls together. Minnie, Penelope and mocha. Mocha has always had an attitude and but they’ve all gotten along. However, today I have been cleaning their cage and mocha has been chasing Minnie around so violently Minnie will accidentally hit her head on the water bottles Or whatever may be near by. I assume because SHES trying her best to get away. I know chasing can be normal and some behavior is considered normal. However, mocha has just been insanely mean, in my opinion to minnie. I had put them back in their cage and they were in the litter box as they were awaiting their hay and I seen Minnie jump out and hit the side of the cage and she ran away as fast as she could. Meanwhile, mocha was making agitated noises to her. Also earlier today, Minnie let out a loud screech and I immediately went oher and she didn’t seem hurt. I know they do that when they’re letting the other pig know they can be dominant.

Maybe I’m just being a dramatic guinea pig mom but should I separate? I know if you separate them then you have to reintroduce. I’m just not sure what to do and it makes me sad seeing minnie getting bullied.

Is Mocha just chasing or mounting and humping as well? Is Minnie allowed to eat?

I haven’t seen mocha humping or mounting her lately. I only really see them do that when one of them is in heat. All she does is chase her around and Minnie runs away as fast as she can. Yes Minnie is allowed to eat. However, it’s usually Minnie and Penelope inside the litter box together eating hay. When it’s mocha, she always chases Minnie out. Which is what I seen earlier and bedding got kicked everywhere and she hit the side.

Is Mocha just chasing or mounting and humping as well? Is Minnie allowed to eat?
I haven’t seen mocha humping or mounting her lately. I only really see them do that when one of them is in heat. All she does is chase her around and Minnie runs away as fast as she can. Yes Minnie is allowed to eat. However, it’s usually Minnie and Penelope inside the litter box together eating hay. When it’s mocha, she always chases Minnie out. Which is what I seen earlier and bedding got kicked everywhere and she hit the side.
I forgot to hit the reply button! My bad!

Mocha chased Minnie off again and Minnie was trying to avoid mocha as much as possible. Then mocha came and ran minnie into a cuddle sack and teeth chattered at her while Minnie yelled out again.

If she’s being chased out then please put in another hay tray. If it’s only when in season then it’s normal. How old are they? Is Mocha the top pig?

If she’s being chased out then please put in another hay tray. If it’s only when in season then it’s normal. How old are they? Is Mocha the top pig?
Penelope is the oldest, she’s about a year and a half or a bit more. The other two are a little bit over a year old. Penelope has always been more of the top pig. Minnie is extremely passive and is never mean to any of them. Mocha only really seems to pick on Minnie.

Try putting in another hay tray as I said. If it’s when she’s in season then you may just have to leave them to it.

Good evening!
So I have three girls together. Minnie, Penelope and mocha. Mocha has always had an attitude and but they’ve all gotten along. However, today I have been cleaning their cage and mocha has been chasing Minnie around so violently Minnie will accidentally hit her head on the water bottles Or whatever may be near by. I assume because SHES trying her best to get away. I know chasing can be normal and some behavior is considered normal. However, mocha has just been insanely mean, in my opinion to minnie. I had put them back in their cage and they were in the litter box as they were awaiting their hay and I seen Minnie jump out and hit the side of the cage and she ran away as fast as she could. Meanwhile, mocha was making agitated noises to her. Also earlier today, Minnie let out a loud screech and I immediately went oher and she didn’t seem hurt. I know they do that when they’re letting the other pig know they can be dominant.

Maybe I’m just being a dramatic guinea pig mom but should I separate? I know if you separate them then you have to reintroduce. I’m just not sure what to do and it makes me sad seeing minnie getting bullied.
It does sound like normal sow behaviour to me, especially when one/alpha pig is in season. I have four sows and I have experienced a lot haha, but thankfully they do all get along really well. A couple of months ago for like two weeks I think the alpha pig was going through a really strong season and was chasing, nipping everybody one minute and then completely fine the next. This went on for two weeks on and off. The best thing to do I think if you have more than one Piggie is to have one of everything. That way it minimises any sort of tension that may happen.

It does sound like normal sow behaviour to me, especially when one/alpha pig is in season. I have four sows and I have experienced a lot haha, but thankfully they do all get along really well. A couple of months ago for like two weeks I think the alpha pig was going through a really strong season and was chasing, nipping everybody one minute and then completely fine the next. This went on for two weeks on and off. The best thing to do I think if you have more than one Piggie is to have one of everything. That way it minimises any sort of tension that may happen.
Oh my goodness! That’s nice to hear it is normal behavior. I agree. I made their litter pan bigger by taking out their actual litter pan out and making one out of chloroplast. It made it wider and I put two hay bags in there and now they’re all three in there just fine! For how small they are, they have quite big attitudes sometimes haha 🤣

Oh my goodness! That’s nice to hear it is normal behavior. I agree. I made their litter pan bigger by taking out their actual litter pan out and making one out of chloroplast. It made it wider and I put two hay bags in there and now they’re all three in there just fine! For how small they are, they have quite big attitudes sometimes haha 🤣
Yepp! My sows can be a pain sometimes. I’m trying to bond the four with a husboar

Youre so lucky! I would love to do that but my boyfriend says we can’t get another one but how can you resist their super cute little faces when they wheek at you 🥺
I originally had two but we had an unexpected pregnancy and have now decided to expand haha

Well I thought they were getting along. They’ve been doing great but today mocha is now harassing both Penelope and mocha. She’s sitting there making very very loud annoyed noises to the others. Why penelope does not put up with it and rumble struts back and does not stand for it. Minnie is being chased everywhere. They have two separate hay bags and litters. However mocha is bullying her like crazy. To the point where Minnie wants to escape the cage. She can’t jump over but Minnie is absolutely terrified of mocha now.

I am just so stuck because I know you don’t separate unless blood is drawn or a fight happens. I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want to separate and them not get along again when trying to reintroduce or go the through the process if its unnecessary. I have videos of her do these things. However not sure how to upload them because it won’t let me.

Best way to post a video is to use another boat site (such as YouTube) then post the link here.

The issue with trios is that sometimes there ends up being a ‘third wheel’ piggy. Is Mocha in season? If Minnie & Penelope are still gaining weight (and therefore allowed to eat) then try riding it out. But it’s difficult with girls are they’re more...’subtle’. Have a read of the guides and see.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble

Best way to post a video is to use another boat site (such as YouTube) then post the link here.

The issue with trios is that sometimes there ends up being a ‘third wheel’ piggy. Is Mocha in season? If Minnie & Penelope are still gaining weight (and therefore allowed to eat) then try riding it out. But it’s difficult with girls are they’re more...’subtle’. Have a read of the guides and see.
Bonds In Trouble
Thank you! Honestly, I’m not sure. I’ve seen them in season before and they mount the others a lot. That’s usually how I tell. I have not seen any mounting whatsoever yet. The weird thing is that Mocha was just doing it to Minnie but today she did it to penelope. Penelope was not having it and she was rumble strutting by her and sticking up for herself. However now, Minnie is terrified of her and won’t even go near mocha if she doesn’t have to. Mocha chases Minnie around constantly and Minnie runs super fast to get away. It makes me so sad seeing that. Penelope and mocha will eat hay in the same litter box but Minnie will have to go to the other one. Then mocha decides to come over and Minnie switches to the other one again. Perhaps she’s just having a strong season? I just don’t understand why she’d be bullying just Minnie. Minnie is the sweetest baby I’ve ever met 🥺

Bonds In Trouble
I uploaded them on YouTube. I was cleaning one of their litter box’s, which it goes right by where they were standing. They uploaded with worse quality so I apologize about that.

It doesn’t seem that aggressive from the videos. Is it a constant thing with her chasing Minnie? I don’t really know to be honest. Have a read of the guides I linked to earlier and see where the behaviour may fall. It may be they just don’t get on that well. As I said, trios can be difficult with there being a third wheel.

I’ll tag @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle @Wiebke @VickiA

There is a lot of what I call throwing weight around. Is your black sow the leader or the second in command and can you please remind me how long they have been together? I have not been much on the forum in recent weeks while I wasn't well.

The only way you can get an honest answer out of a potentially tricky situation (bullying or aggression) is by a trial separation with a divider in the cage. Then see whether the piggies one party (especially the one at the receiving end) are noticeably perking up when not in the same space as the others. It doesn't look like a happy bond to me and it is bordering in bullying/acceptance not having happened.
A trial separation is the closest we can come to ask piggies of their true feelings as to whether they are happy in a bond or whether it is dysfunctional as it is .

As mentioned before, happily bonded pairs are not necessarily willing to accept another. Trios are by far the most tricky one to get just right. Unless you can rescue date your pair, it is a constellation best avoided. Groups very much rely on the piggies wanting to be together; like with humans, this doesn't happen all the time, whether that is in an office or in your private life. How many long term stable happy human trios do you know?

Please take the time to read these guides here and follow the instructions re. trial separation.
Bonds In Trouble
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Back