• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fighting

Daisy and zoey

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I got a guinea pig about a week ago and named her daisy. She was the sweetest cuddly thing ever and she’s super young and little still. I ended up getting her a friend three days after getting her so she wouldn’t be lonely. The new one is zoey. Zoey is a little bit bigger and older then daisy. I have them in a cage together and they don’t seem to be fighting bad but I see zoey jump at daisy often and daisy screams once. Then they’re find but it’s happened a couple times and I’m worried that it’ll happen again. I want to get a bigger cage So they can have lots of room but they’re super expensive. Do any of you have a old one or spare? I can pay for shipping or whatever but if not I’m going to just buy another cage and keep them separate. I’ve only had them about a week now is this normal? Should I be worried? I don’t want daisy getting hurt but since I introduced her to zoey she’s been more scared of me and it makes me sad. Any help is appreciated thank you!

Did you introduce them properly on neutral territory?
Have you checked their sexes yourself?

The key to a successful bond is character compatibility so if you just buy another piggy from a pet shop then you don’t have any idea if they are going to be compatible in character and if they will like each other so you do run the risk of a failed bonding.

However, even in a successful bonding, it takes two weeks for a bond to be fully established during this time you will see dominance behaviours such as mounting, chasing etc. This is all perfectly normal. The screaming from a submissive piggy is also normal - it’s called submission squealing. The underpig is accepting their position as lowest in the hierarchy. What is not normal is lunging and pulling fur out - those are signs of a problem between them.

You will need to ensure you understand the behaviours you are seeing so you can make an assessment on their bond

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Cages are expensive but it is absolutely essential that you provide them with everything they need. Two sows need a cage measuring a minimum of 120cm x 60cm but the bigger the cage, the better for the piggies. That is a minimum welfare standard. A cage less than that is not suitable for them at all. What is your cage measurements?
Keeping them in a cage which is too small will not help their relationship either. If they feel they don’t have enough space to move around or get away from each other if they want to then they may bicker.

Cage Size Guide

Do you have a vet fund set aside? Ensuring you can pay for the vet fees is Likely the largest expense you can experience. Guinea pigs are not cheap pets and the vet fees in the US tend to be more expensive than here In the UK

Last edited:
:agr: Can I also ask, did you double check the sex to make sure they’re both sows?

A temporary option would be to get a play pen and set it up around/attached to the cage so they have access to it all the time. Just make sure the young one can’t slip through the gaps and escape! Please get the money together to get them a bigger cage. If needs be perhaps you could ask friends and family to help you out. It’s important that they have the minimum space.

As said above, vet fees are expensive especially in US. I think if you’re going to struggle paying them then you have to think of a way to get that money should the need arise, or consider a pet that is ‘cheaper’. I’ve also linked to vets as it would be a good idea for you to take the girls for a check soon.

:wel: We’d love to see photos of your girls. I’ll link to the sexing guide below for you to have a read through. Lastly, if your young sow is less than 4 months it’s very important that she has company. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Illustrated Sexing Guide
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

Did you introduce them properly on neutral territory?
Have you checked their sexes yourself?

The key to a successful bond is character compatibility so if you just buy another piggy from a pet shop then you don’t have any idea if they are going to be compatible in character and if they will like each other so you do run the risk of a failed bonding.

However, even in a successful bonding, it takes two weeks for a bond to be fully established during this time you will see dominance behaviours such as mounting, chasing etc. This is all perfectly normal. The screaming from a submissive piggy is also normal - it’s called submission squealing. The underpig is accepting their position as lowest in the hierarchy. What is not normal is lunging and pulling fur out - those are signs of a problem between them.

You will need to ensure you understand the behaviours you are seeing so you can make an assessment on their bond

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Cages are expensive but it is absolutely essential that you provide them with everything they need. Two sows need a cage measuring a minimum of 120cm x 60cm but the bigger the cage, the better for the piggies. That is a minimum welfare standard. A cage less than that is not suitable for them at all. What is your cage measurements?
Keeping them in a cage which is too small will not help their relationship either. If they feel they don’t have enough space to move around or get away from each other if they want to then they may bicker.

Cage Size Guide

Do you have a vet fund set aside? Ensuring you can pay for the vet fees is Likely the largest expense you can experience. Guinea pigs are not cheap pets and the vet fees in the US tend to be more expensive than here In the UK

thank you for responding, I actually ended up getting them a second cage, the cage they had is a 3 ft by 2 ft cage, I just built one that is 6 feet around In a oval shape. I ended up Putting daisy in that one and then zoey is in the other one, I’m only going to put them together when I’m watching them for now on because they both seem super happy alone right now, they’re both running around and jumping and playing by their self’s. I bought a second of everything so when they get along I’ll put them together in the bigger cage again. They’re both females and they’re super sweet. I think they just need to be separate a little more. But they still talk to eachother when alone. And yes zoey actually has a vet appointment next week to be checked out, I will spend whatever I need to on them they’re such amazing animals.

thank you for responding, I actually ended up getting them a second cage, the cage they had is a 3 ft by 2 ft cage, I just built one that is 6 feet around In a oval shape. I ended up Putting daisy in that one and then zoey is in the other one, I’m only going to put them together when I’m watching them for now on because they both seem super happy alone right now, they’re both running around and jumping and playing by their self’s. I bought a second of everything so when they get along I’ll put them together in the bigger cage again. They’re both females and they’re super sweet. I think they just need to be separate a little more. But they still talk to eachother when alone. And yes zoey actually has a vet appointment next week to be checked out, I will spend whatever I need to on them they’re such amazing animals.

Guinea pigs who are separated and live apart due to a dysfunctional relationship cannot have any time together at all, not even supervised. Every time you put them together, to them, it is a bonding session which you will then cut short when you separate them again, also if their relationship is dysfunctional then they don’t like each other so there is no benefit in them having any supervised time together - doing so will cause them a lot of stress.

You need to be absolutely certain that their relationship is dysfunctional and their bond is broken before you separate - and if you have to separate then it is a permanent separation. If they aren’t compatible, they can never have any time together or live together again.

They will need to live separately but in cages which are next to each other so they can interact through the bars as that will stave off loneliness

A 3ft x 2ft cage is still too small for a single piggy. She will still need a bigger cage.

Guinea pigs who are separated and live apart due to a dysfunctional relationship cannot have any time together at all, not even supervised. Every time you put them together, to them, it is a bonding session which you will then cut short when you separate them again, also if their relationship is dysfunctional then they don’t like each other so there is no benefit in them having any supervised time together - doing so will cause them a lot of stress.

You need to be absolutely certain that their relationship is dysfunctional and their bond is broken before you separate - and if you have to separate then it is a permanent separation. If they aren’t compatible, they can never have any time together or live together again.

They will need to live separately but in cages which are next to each other so they can interact through the bars as that will stave off loneliness

A 3ft x 2ft cage is still too small for a single piggy. She will still need a bigger cage.

Hi thank you so much again for the response, I went to the store and bought more supplies today, they now have two of everything and are sharing a cage that is 7 ft by 3 ft and they are super happy together, I haven’t noticed any fighting and they each have one of everything including hiding spots and they’re constantly talking and cuddling and popcorning now. I haven’t noticed any biting or anything since I got them a bigger cage and two of everything so I have them both in the same cage at all times and plan on keeping it this way. I’m so happy that this worked and is this cage big enough for the two of them? Or should I build it bigger?They seem so much happier and it makes me happy thank you for the help!

That’s a very good size for them. I’m sure they’ll enjoy the ample space 🙃

Also I just checked the measurements on the new cage I built that’s bigger and it’s 7 ft by 4 ft but please let me know if this is big enough for the two babies. If I have to I’ll make it bigger!

Zoey has an issue with her eye and it is crusted shut. I have an appointment at the vet as soon as they can get me in but what I’ve been doing is putting a warm wet towel and wiping the crust Gently so it opens up again. Is there anything else I can do until the appointment?

There’s nothing you can do I’m afraid. I would call them and tell them to let you know if they have a cancellation. Having said that, eye treatment is the same as with cats and dogs so I would try and see a general vet as soon as you can.

There’s nothing you can do I’m afraid. I would call them and tell them to let you know if they have a cancellation. Having said that, eye treatment is the same as with cats and dogs so I would try and see a general vet as soon as you can.
Thank you, thankfully they were able to get me in for tomorrow. She has a couple bald spots on her also so I’m really hoping she’s okay and that my other one ends up okay too. I’m getting them both checked out. Thank you!

Back