• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Filtered Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lately I have been hearing that filtered water is better for pigs because it doesn't have as much calcium as tap. I've been using tap water ever since I got the pigs, and they are now 8-10 months old. Now that they are older than six months, I think it would be better if I gave them filtered water. The only problem is that I don't have a water filter, but my refrigerator has filtered water. Would that be okay to give them?:san:

Do you need to fillter your water?
unless you are looking at reverse osmosis (very expensive) youncould be wasting your mony!

whilst a standard fillter is great for removing
aded chemicals like clorine ect and the natural contamanonts lead (if they are hi ) , it also stripping the warter of natural minarals that are usefull

l rememer looking intonit years ago, and the most popular advice given was as you water authority for
a water report for your aria
and ask them how it compares with other authorities

Last edited:
If l remember corectly there is a foram (like this) that talkes about water problems

If you live in a hard water area I would filter your tap water to get rid of the very high calcium content. Guinea pigs seem to be very prone to calcium stones and will get enough calcium and minerals from a good diet. I believe most vets recommend filtering hard water and as a stone forming human I am advised to filter my drinking water by the urologist's at the hospital.

Interesting post. I am looking into our water content as my two piggies both died of bladder stones. After discussing their diets with my vets, they agreed that there was nothing wrong with how and what I was feeding them, as I had specifically been careful not to give high calcium greens (especially to my second piggie) which led us to think about levels of calcium in our local water... I would be interested to know what others think of this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back