• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fire alarm. Stress and hearing concern.

Lexiii

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have recently just moved out into a new flat. My family still currently have my pigs and I am planning on bringing them up and moving them in with me however last night the fire alarm went off and it was piercingly LOUD! I'm genuinely very concerned that if it was to go off again with them here it would be unbearably stressful for them or even damaging to their ears. I really want to move them in with me but is it maybe wiser to leave them be with my family? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Also I am sorry if this sounds really naive. This just isn’t something I’ve ever had to consider where I lived previously.

I have recently just moved out into a new flat. My family still currently have my pigs and I am planning on bringing them up and moving them in with me however last night the fire alarm went off and it was piercingly LOUD! I'm genuinely very concerned that if it was to go off again with them here it would be unbearably stressful for them or even damaging to their ears. I really want to move them in with me but is it maybe wiser to leave them be with my family? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
What set it off? Dont say smoke lol. What were you doing?

Everyone has a fire alarm. Mine goes off but doesnt bother my pigs for long. Does your cooker have an exractor hood?

It’s the alarm for the entire building. So something in another flat set it off which is also frustrating as it means I can’t turn it off myself.

It’s the alarm for the entire building. So something in another flat set it off which is also frustrating as it means I can’t turn it off myself.
but does every individual flat have its own fire alarm? I know exactly what i would do. Turn your fire alarm off at the fuse box . And go buy a battery one that also detects carbon monoxide aswell . Job done. But dont turn it off until you fit your own

It does. But it doesn’t seem to stop this from ringing. There’s a panel somewhere in the building that links them all. I’m just concerned about it ringing for an extended period of time and whether it’s be too much for them?

Attachments

• 3905F93D-15CF-42ED-846F-F3A62DDA3EA2.jpeg
    3905F93D-15CF-42ED-846F-F3A62DDA3EA2.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 3
It does. But it doesn’t seem to stop this from ringing. There’s a panel somewhere in the building that links them all. I’m just concerned about it ringing for an extended period of time and whether it’s be too much for them?
So each flat has one of them bells?

but does every individual flat have its own fire alarm? I know exactly what i would do. Turn your fire alarm off at the fuse box . And go buy a battery one that also detects carbon monoxide aswell . Job done. But dont turn it off until you fit your own
Thank you. I think I’ll go ahead and do this! Thanks so much.

I don't know how these things work, but under no circumstances should you interfere with a fire detection system. It could have catastrophic consequences for both you and your neighbours. Why not wait a few days and see if it's going to be a problem. If so, leave the piggies with your family if you feel it's too stressful for them. You could ask the person responsible for the building if there is any way to reduce the noise.

:agr: you shouldn't mess about with a fire detection system. It is there for your safety and the safety of others. If you unlink yours then you may well render the whole lot useless. My burglar alarm went off when I had Christian in the hospital cage cos of a fault and he didn't seem too phased about it. He ran into his hidey but he was OK and it didn't do him any lasting damage.

Thank you. I think I’ll go ahead and do this! Thanks so much.

I really wouldn't do this. I don't know if you are in the UK but it is a legal requirement here to provide smoke alarms on every floor of a property. By meddling with the alarm or disconnecting it not only do you run the risk of electrocuting yourself (if the alarm is one wired into the mains which it is likely to be if you are in a block of flats so they can see immediately where the fire is) and/or you will be breaching your tenancy for which you can be evicted. I personally see this as very bad and life endangering advice.

I really wouldn't do this. I don't know if you are in the UK but it is a legal requirement here to provide smoke alarms on every floor of a property. By meddling with the alarm or disconnecting it not only do you run the risk of electrocuting yourself (if the alarm is one wired into the mains which it is likely to be if you are in a block of flats so they can see immediately where the fire is) and/or you will be breaching your tenancy for which you can be evicted. I personally see this as very bad and life endangering advice.
:agr: Remember Grenfell Tower for the consequences of a fire in a block of flats

I haven’t done this. I ended up going to bed and sleeping on it anyway. I think for now I’m going to leave them be. The idea of putting them through that breaks my heart so I’ll just feel better leaving them where they’re comfortable and not mess with anything.

I haven’t done this. I ended up going to bed and sleeping on it anyway. I think for now I’m going to leave them be. The idea of putting them through that breaks my heart so I’ll just feel better leaving them where they’re comfortable and not mess with anything.
Thank goodness.

Back