• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So today is the day I change from shavings to fleece. Hope it goes well but not sure how I'm going to cope with the mess from hay. At the moment it's on a hay loft on the side of the cage, they don't seem to eat much mind.
Does anyone have tips for fleece bedding?

So today is the day I change from shavings to fleece. Hope it goes well but not sure how I'm going to cope with the mess from hay. At the moment it's on a hay loft on the side of the cage, they don't seem to eat much mind.
Does anyone have tips for fleece bedding?
I have used fleece bedding in their nests for a few years now and find it works really well. As the messy little girls all piddle in their beds the fleece keeps them lovely and dry! Any pee wicks away through to the paper underneath which I change daily meaning fleece dry and only needs washed every other day or so.
I do still give them areas of piled up hay though as they love to burrow in it!

How do you get the hay off the fleece if must stick like crazy lol and I wasn't sure I could use newspaper as there bound to chew it because of the print but now I've read this I guess it's fine

How do you get the hay off the fleece if must stick like crazy lol and I wasn't sure I could use newspaper as there bound to chew it because of the print but now I've read this I guess it's fine
Yes it does stick to the fleece but feel that's a small price to pay for dry cosy piggies! Just watch when brushing off the surplus as you can get spray from pee if you brush too hard!
Newspaper is great for layering on the bottom of both nests and flooring too to keep the pee contained. Easy to roll up all the contents then just bin it.

I use hay bags with litter trays underneath. No hay goes on the fleece :)

View attachment 69516

Hay bags? Litter trays? Do you have photos x

The hay bags are on the left of the cage hanging above the litter trays.

Sugarandspicepiggies on youtube do a great hay bag video which eileens mum used to make hers.

I use hay trays with hemp bedding and hay for my fuinea pigs. They do most of their wees in them so their fleece stays dryer longer.

Caramel in his hay tray, where he spends most of his time. The hay rack is from zooplus or amazon

2gu9j6u.jpg

Mine like to go into the hay, so I put a big ball of it in there cage, on the fleece. I shake off the fleece as best I can. With vet fleece/bed, it's thick enough to vacuum. Then I wash the fleece inside a horse bag to protect my machine. I shake them again after washing over the bin. I use fleece tunnels and snuggle sacks too.

Mine like to go into the hay, so I put a big ball of it in there cage, on the fleece. I shake off the fleece as best I can. With vet fleece/bed, it's thick enough to vacuum. Then I wash the fleece inside a horse bag to protect my machine. I shake them again after washing over the bin. I use fleece tunnels and snuggle sacks too.
They sound properly spoilt! I've got piles of hay everywhere so their areas in the piggy palace never look tidy but I know they love to burrow in it plus underneath dry and cosy thanks to their vetfleece!
I'm lucky to have a separate washing machine next to the piggy palace!
Think hubby got fed up with stray pieces of hay and hairs appearing in his undies! Honest! I did thoroughly clean it before washing our clothes.

The hay bags are on the left of the cage hanging above the litter trays.

Sugarandspicepiggies on youtube do a great hay bag video which eileens mum used to make hers.

I use hay trays with hemp bedding and hay for my fuinea pigs. They do most of their wees in them so their fleece stays dryer longer.

Caramel in his hay tray, where he spends most of his time. The hay rack is from zooplus or amazon

2gu9j6u.jpg
Caramel looks so like my Newly appointed Husboar Oliver! They never look tidy with their hair all over the place but oh so sweet! I have a brush for him and brother Oscar but makes no difference. X

Back