Floor Time Help

Marc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, so my wife and I habe had our guinea pigs for 4 months now and generally we have had no problems except a bit of dominance issues (typical boys). Now we like to get our boys out everyday for a few hours of playtime in their pen on the floor. We used to put lino down for them to run on as this was recommended to us by a owner of 12 guineas (how she did it I don't know) but lately as creases have appeared in it they started chewing through it and ripping up chunks which obviously is a health concern. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what to put down for them to play on. We have an extremely large pen and most of the mats are just too small. Any help would be much appreciated.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so my wife and I habe had our guinea pigs for 4 months now and generally we have had no problems except a bit of dominance issues (typical boys). Now we like to get our boys out everyday for a few hours of playtime in their pen on the floor. We used to put lino down for them to run on as this was recommended to us by a owner of 12 guineas (how she did it I don't know) but lately as creases have appeared in it they started chewing through it and ripping up chunks which obviously is a health concern. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what to put down for them to play on. We have an extremely large pen and most of the mats are just too small. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi and welcome

Guinea pigs are very good at exploring and finding any chinks.

I would recommend to cover your lino with large 100% acrylic or polyester fleece bed covers. If you wash them without softener, the fleece becomes permeable and allows any pee to pass through, so the boys don't sit in wet puddles. Place puppy pads in their regular peeing corners for absorbency. Many of our members keep their indoors piggies this way. It works for indoors runs, too. I would still recommend to keep the lino if it sits on carpet.
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

I keep my own crowd on vinyl with an absorbent layer of cotton towels and incontinence seat pads in the sleeping areas covered by softener-free fleece. Our vinyl is stuck down and sealed around the edges (it is proper flooring in the piggy room). I also use fleece towels for my bonding pens.
IMG_6749.JPG

Bonding run:
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics