• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Frantic Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My male guinea pig, who is just over a year, is behaving extremely frantically. I heard some noise from his cage which woke me up, and when I went to pick him to see if he was ok, he ran as fast as he could into the bars on his cage and fell backwards. He also frantically ran around his entire cage, smashing into everything in it. I have no idea why this has happened all of a sudden. If I put my hand in the cage, he doesn't sniff it as he usually does. If I try to pick him up he is terrified. I've emptied the entire cage because I'm worried he will hurt himself severely and hes just sitting in one corner, he won't move at all. It's almost as if he's seen something and it has deeply scared him.

This happened to my girls a few weeks ago, I don't know what but something terrified them. Took about 3 hours for them to get back to normal. I was freaking out at first but best thing to do was just leave them alone to calm down.

I'd put his houses back in, if he's already scared he'll be feeling extremely vulnerable without anywhere to hide

This happened to my girls a few weeks ago, I don't know what but something terrified them. Took about 3 hours for them to get back to normal. I was freaking out at first but best thing to do was just leave them alone to calm down.

I'd put his houses back in, if he's already scared he'll be feeling extremely vulnerable without anywhere to hide

He had a platform which I've taken out because as he was running around he kept hitting it very hard. So I've put in a giant plush house for now, and I cleaned out the entire cage and he seems more comfortable. Has it happened again for your girls?

He's definitely still acting spooked. He won't leave his house.

Just give him some time on his own, or try to distract him, perhaps give some veg to take his mind off things. Is he a lone piggy?

Just give him some time on his own, or try to distract him, perhaps give some veg to take his mind off things. Is he a lone piggy?

Yes he is a lone piggy. But he's never acted like this before. Just now he made a very prolonged wheeking sound, almost like a scream. He won't leave his house.

QUOTEE="helen105281, post: 1901178, member: 5819"]Is he scratching at all?[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed any scratching. Suddenly anytime I try to pick him he makes this prolonged wheeking sound, and its very loud. Seems like he's telling me not to touch him. If I make any movements, he jumps. I'm so confused, I have no idea why he's acting like this.

QUOTEE="helen105281, post: 1901178, member: 5819"]Is he scratching at all?[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed any scratching. Suddenly anytime I try to pick him he makes this prolonged wheeking sound, and its very loud. Seems like he's telling me not to touch him. If I make any movements, he jumps. I'm so confused, I have no idea why he's acting like this.

Are you able to get him to a vet for a check over? Is he eating at all?

Are you able to get him to a vet for a check over? Is he eating at all?

He eats when I place the food in his bed. Other than that he won't come out for food. I'm not able to at this moment, maybe in a few hours from now.

Ok, see how he is in a few hours and if he is still the same I would get him checked, he does sound spooked, is his cage indoors?

Ok, see how he is in a few hours and if he is still the same I would get him checked, he does sound spooked, is his cage indoors?

Yeah it is. I'm not sure if he's in pain from the squealing, I think it's more likely that he's just very scared of something. I was woken up by the sound of something falling, so I think perhaps something fell on him suddenly and ever since he's been too scared to leave his house. :(

That could be it then, if it frightened him. The vet would be able to rule out a pain response though just in case. Is it possible anything fell in his cage?

That could be it then, if it frightened him. The vet would be able to rule out a pain response though just in case. Is it possible anything fell in his cage?
He has a cardboard arch toy, when I checked on him it had fallen over. But I'm pretty sure it's fallen on him before so I'm not sure why'd he be this spooked by it. That's the only thing that could've fallen.

Ok. If he is still the same in an hour or so I would get him checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back