• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal Infection & Fleece Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttonlove

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, it's been almost two months now since my girls first showed signs of their fungal infection. All three have had it at one stage, Daphne (the youngest) fortunately seems clear of it. Clara & Arabella with topical medication twice daily have seemed to be improving until a couple of weeks ago. I have been using Imaverol dips & topical creams from the Vets.
I have gotten rid of all wooden hideys and toys. They only have plastic toys at the moment and temporary cardboard boxes. I clean their cage twice a week with F10 spray & after speaking to my vet again today, she has agreed to prescribe both Itrafungol & Malaseb shampoo. She recommended shampooing all three girls whenever I clean their cage (ideally twice a week) & to give the Itrafungol in the required dose plan. Hopefully I should have both meds this week & can start on the new treatment.

They usually live on fleece bedding, temporarily they are on disposable bedding instead due to ease of cleaning & making sure the fungal spores are all gone. I was told by the Vet that it may be worth throwing out all fleece/soft beddings that they have been in contact with. I am dubious, because of the amount of money I have spent on different themes and sets and would rather not If I can get away with it! I've been soaking all fleece items in F10 disinfectant overnight before washing them at 60/95 degrees celsius. Do you think this is enough to get rid of the spores?

Overall the girls are happy in theirselves & their weights are normal. I've also been giving them ProC supplement daily on their food for added vit c, along with veggies & burgess excell nuggets.

If you have any other tips for dealing with fungal I would be extremely grateful!

I wish i could do links,
I just googled (what tempriture is needed to kill fungus spors , and one of the links was '
"Enomental reporter " 95 is reported to kill all, but the comon all garden type are killed at far less than that
30 to 40 f

I wish i could do links,
I just googled (what tempriture is needed to kill fungus spors , and one of the links was '
"Enomental reporter " 95 is reported to kill all, but the comon all garden type are killed at far less than that
30 to 40 f

Thank you for the info! It's much appreciated.
So with me soaking them in F10 (which is meant to be great at killing fungal spores) and then a 95 degree wash, I can safely keep the fleece items would you say?

I think you have got it covered too.

Malaseb is great stuff, you can still use the Imaverol after shampooing too. Glad the vet is giving you Itarfungol aswell.

I know what you mean lol! I sometimes think my piggies (and the dog for that matter) live in better quality than some children (which is really sad) but when you spend lots of money on your animals you want it all looking nice! If I had to replace my fleeces I reckon it would cost me over £100!

I know what you mean lol! I sometimes think my piggies (and the dog for that matter) live in better quality than some children (which is really sad) but when you spend lots of money on your animals you want it all looking nice! If I had to replace my fleeces I reckon it would cost me over £100!

Haha, I'm glad I'm not alone!
I feel exactly the same way & the themes I have are super girly, I would be so upset if I had to repurchase all the hideys and liners, phew to not having to!

You sound like me! Both my children had bear factory bears and they were given sleeping bags, my sons is blue, my daughters is pink I claimed the blue one for the boys, my little girl gave me hers which is lovely but I cant use it cause they are boys! Will keep it for when I get girls lol

You sound like me! Both my children had bear factory bears and they were given sleeping bags, my sons is blue, my daughters is pink I claimed the blue one for the boys, my little girl gave me hers which is lovely but I cant use it cause they are boys! Will keep it for when I get girls lol

Haha, that's exactly what I would do! :D Great minds think alike! lol
If you're on Youtube, I've a channel Sugar&Spice Piggies & you can see just how girly my stuff is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back