• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Girl and Boy bonding

Domzalm1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, wondered if someone can help. I have just introduced a boy to a girl yesterday. They have bren with me for a while. Boy was neutered good few months back and i have decided to put them together now (yeeey) but.... as expected there was a lot of humping and rumbling some teeeth chatter and small nibbles. They eventually got tired and fell asleep together. It seemed ok with no major dramas. When i checked them this morning they did not seem to be too happy being in each others company. Sat in the opposite sides of c&c and chattering at each othèr quite a bit. They did not have a bloody fight but seem to be agresive towards each other. There isnt much info about boy girl bonding and everyone seem to say it will just work out but my couple seem to be sat seperately guarding their side of the c&c... what is up with them? I tried to fish out my girl be she chatered at me and when i tried again she bit me (and i mean really hard! ) what to do? Any advice will help. Thank you

I have recently bonded a young boar with a middle age sow. They are not the best of pals but it is working.. have a look at my thread, might help..this is the first bond i have ever done so i cant help much with any experience

Make sure you have two of everything for them and any hideys must have 2 exits. My two rumble strut at each other, teeth chatter, mount and all that but no biting has happened.

Hi everyone, wondered if someone can help. I have just introduced a boy to a girl yesterday. They have bren with me for a while. Boy was neutered good few months back and i have decided to put them together now (yeeey) but.... as expected there was a lot of humping and rumbling some teeeth chatter and small nibbles. They eventually got tired and fell asleep together. It seemed ok with no major dramas. When i checked them this morning they did not seem to be too happy being in each others company. Sat in the opposite sides of c&c and chattering at each othèr quite a bit. They did not have a bloody fight but seem to be agresive towards each other. There isnt much info about boy girl bonding and everyone seem to say it will just work out but my couple seem to be sat seperately guarding their side of the c&c... what is up with them? I tried to fish out my girl be she chatered at me and when i tried again she bit me (and i mean really hard! ) what to do? Any advice will help. Thank you

Hi! it seems that they may have had a fall out over the dominance issue. It is unfortunately a misconception that all cross gender bondings come off. There are still personality and dominance clashes. :(

Please separate for a day, then put them back in the neutral area and see how they react to each other. If the teeth chatter and hostilities resume pretty quickly when they meet up again, then the bonding has unfortunately failed. :(

With sow/neutered boar bondings you can separate and re-try, unlike with boar bondings. It sounds like they need a break from each other. I agree with Wiebke, that if you try them again in a neutral bonding pen after a break for day or so, that will be the best indication of whether it will work.
I had one very dominant older sow (Mollie) who would not tolerate any of the neutered boars I introduced her to (young or old alike). So it doesn’t always work with a sow and neutered boar.

Thank you all for advice. Yes they definitely did not like each other and before i separated them they managed to get into a fight and Maple (girl) had her ear bitten so that it bled a little. They are back into their single runs and i am so gutted!. I will not be trying again as they really did not get on. I have two other bonded pairs and i am planning to either add Maple to one of the pairs plus get a diferent girlfriend for Marve or get a bigger run with devider so that Maple and Marve can be neighbours but not be able to fight... any orher ideas ?

Keep them next to each other with interaction through the bars. They won't go back with each other after this and don't get any new piggies on spec as potential candidates. Some sows can be a real pain! I have got a nice collection of them here... :(

Back