• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Girl or boy?

Cara100

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I've had two brothers for a few months now, around 3 months and we believed they were two boys but recently one hasn't been developing like the other in the genital area. Can people please reassure me that he's a he?

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 18
From what I can see, I think this looks like a female - sorry!

Have a look at the sexing guide in the 'guinea pig guides' above. If you part the vertical opening, has it got 'fleshy' side flaps (female) or does it go straight down into a hole (male). If you take a picture with the vertical opening pulled apart a little, we might be able to say for certain. If it turns out she is a female; it's very likely that she will be pregnant - please see the guides on pregancy too.

Don't hold down me to it but yes that look very much like a female to me . Is your male neutered if not u may be in for a surprise few baby's x

It does look very much like a female but it's hard to say the photos are quite dark (not helped by the dark skin and hair). Are you able to get close shots like this with the flash on or maybe using a torch to provide better lighting?

Here's some more photos in light.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 17
Would it be possible for, as everyone on this forum and two others have said female, that she ISNT pregnant even though she's lived with her brother for 3 months?

Wouldn't three months mean that she would have already had the babies? She doesn't seem pregnant to me after going off the signs online

How old are your guinea pigs/Do you know when your guinea pigs were born? Are you sure that your other guinea pig is male?

How old are your guinea pigs/Do you know when your guinea pigs were born? Are you sure that your other guinea pig is male?

They were around four weeks when we got them, they've been with us three months so around four months old. Other one is 100% a boy, has massive testes! I'm not 100% the other is a girl though despite lots of people online saying the are because of the no babies so far thing

The guinea pig in question/in the pictures above is female.

It is possible that your female has not been caught/that one, or both of your guinea pigs are infertile etc… However, the odds are that your female has been caught, and could deliver a litter anytime in the next nine-ish weeks.

Guinea pigs have long gestational periods, and small litters - First time litters tend to be small/single pups are not uncommon.

Please separate your guinea pigs, if you have not done so already; treat your female as if she is pregnant; and familiarise yourself with the forum’s pregnancy guides.

I agree with the above. There is a higher chance of her being pregnant than not pregnant. If she's not then separation is required immediately to prevent pregnancy and if she is pregnant, seeing as she could give birth at any point, then oelae separate as females go into season within hours of giving birth and you certainly don't want back to back pregnancies.

As guinea pigs are prey animals they are good at hiding illnesses and pregnancy. Given your piggies age weight increases might be associated more with growing into an adult rather than babies growing inside her etc.

The guinea pig in question/in the pictures above is female.

It is possible that your female has not been caught/that one, or both of your guinea pigs are infertile etc… However, the odds are that your female has been caught, and could deliver a litter anytime in the next nine-ish weeks.

Guinea pigs have long gestational periods, and small litters - First time litters tend to be small/single pups are not uncommon.

Please separate your guinea pigs, if you have not done so already; treat your female as if she is pregnant; and familiarise yourself with the forum’s pregnancy guides.
What does it mean when they're caught?

Back