• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Girls and Boy Keep Wanting More Veggies?

alphadox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I give both my girls unlimited bluegrass or 2nd cut Timothy hay placed out during the day, the measured out bowl of pellets, water bottle refilled daily, and veggie plate recommendation in long term diet spread out morning and night minus green bean they dont like it. There's never bloat or soft poops.

They are also close to a year now, but baby boy about two months.

But they want more and more. Like my one girl will literally freak out - zooming, popcorning, trying to climb grids, seduce me rubbing against my hand like a cat- when handing out veggies.

Do they need more? I dont dont want baby boy starving. They love to eat and play in the hay piles, eat up pellets, drink water, etc. A YT Guinea Pig Rescue vid maybe seemed you cant overfeed veggies?

And they get either basil, pea flakes, oats, corn husk, cherry tomato, and apple for once a week treat.

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Piggies love their veg and are very good at making you feel guilty that you are not giving them enough. My two go wheeking mad every time I go near their cage hoping they are getting a treat but they only get their veggies once a day.

:agr: Piggies are fur with appetite. They will eat as much veg as you will give them. Don't go over the recommended daily allowance or they will just get fat. They will make you think that they are starving and that you haven't fed them in eleventy billion years when you know you have. Just put more hay in the cage instead of veg. Here is Dennis asking for food. You can really tell I haven't fed him in a week!

:lol!:

Dennis in snuggle sack 2.JPG

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Piggies love their veg and are very good at making you feel guilty that you are not giving them enough. My two go wheeking mad every time I go near their cage hoping they are getting a treat but they only get their veggies once a day.

Thanks for making me feel better!

:agr: Piggies are fur with appetite. They will eat as much veg as you will give them. Don't go over the recommended daily allowance or they will just get fat. They will make you think that they are starving and that you haven't fed them in eleventy billion years when you know you have. Just put more hay in the cage instead of veg. Here is Dennis asking for food. You can really tell I haven't fed him in a week!

:lol!:

View attachment 120148

That is...adorable! He looks all diva in that fleece pattern haha. I think my one girl is a little bigger than the other, but they are still not as big as I'd like them. Though my boy has been growing like crazy with a big booty.

They will keep begging and if you don’t know better, you’d keep feeding them! My husband used to give in to the boys at the beginning, even if I’d fed them and they had hay 🙄

What I’d say is to not feed oats, even as a treat. It’s sometimes used to chubby up pigs that have lost a significant amount of weight and need topping up. And pea flakes should be an occasional treat.

Your diet sounds good, too much veg is bad! When mine beg I give them a fresh handful of hay which stimulates them into hay eating. If there's loads of hay in their boxes I turn it over and mix it up a bit, that has the same effect.

I always think they are just like kids and chocolate biscuits - their capacity to eat is endless but if you offer a piece of fruit (or in this case a handful of hay) they are suddenly not 'starving' at all anymore.
Check their weights weekly and as long as they are a healthy weight and seem active and happy then don't let them talk you into more food!

Comet once played the starving beggar because he didn't think he had enough hay. Aye, that's right, he didn't want more veggies, he wanted more hay, because having enough hay to camouflage and fall asleep in wasn't enough. I used to find feeding the soft bits of the hay (like the grass tips/heads? I'm not sure what they're actually called) used to be enough to placate a hungry piggy because most piggies adore them. It did mean I'd sometimes have to hoak around a hay bag for one though.

Our skinny pig (who isnt very skinny anymore, she's just a naked minature hippo) wheeks for veggies 24/7. She's a 3am fire alarm wheeking that she's starving. We just give her cardboard boxes full of hay unless its meal times. You have to be very strong willed with these wheeky blinders, for their own good! Also weigh them weekly so you know you are right and they are just porky greedy pants, not actually starving :)

Let’s just say Smokey and Bacon have mastered begging...

Attachments

• BE5A3201-9830-4D29-9C29-1B533E28D4B2.jpeg
    BE5A3201-9830-4D29-9C29-1B533E28D4B2.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D1000195-FC67-453E-A706-1C880EF483F8.jpeg
    D1000195-FC67-453E-A706-1C880EF483F8.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • C4E2A319-4782-4366-81FC-2A6048762F69.jpeg
    C4E2A319-4782-4366-81FC-2A6048762F69.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1
  • ABB16751-AB84-435E-8EBE-12C4DA6262E2.jpeg
    ABB16751-AB84-435E-8EBE-12C4DA6262E2.jpeg