• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig bite

Walnut brownie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Today my guinea pig bit me. They usually do but today a little drop of blood came, it was not too bad. Bad can it cause any disease ? Since they are not vaccinated as i read on internet that guinea pigs don't need vaccination and the pet shop owner said the same.
What should i do? Ignore or go to doctor?

It can if it’s gone deep and gets infected. Perhaps have it looked at in case. What happened for him/her to bite you? Did your hand smell of food? Does your piggy live alone? They really need company of their own kind.

Guinea pigs don’t carry diseases as such, so a guinea pig bite to a human is really no worse than any other injury that breaks the skin. Just keep it clean and watch for any sign of infection.
It is unusual for a guinea pig to bite a human and draw blood (unless you were separating a fight or similar) so I’d also ask what you were doing at the time.

Yes, treat it like any small wound or cut - being careful with cleaning it to prevent infection but there is no "Guinea-pig disease" worry. Here in UK guinea-pigs don't get vaccinated either! A hard bite that breaks the skin is quite unusual though...

Just keep it clean. I got a very deep bite from Timmy once (accident bless him, my hands smelled of food) and it was very sore but healed fine.

It can if it’s gone deep and gets infected. Perhaps have it looked at in case. What happened for him/her to bite you? Did your hand smell of food? Does your piggy live alone? They really need company of their own kind.
I was holding him. They usually nibble when they want to go back to their cage, but i don't know why the nibble was hasher than usual that lead to a minor cut. May be it was unintentional as they are babies.

Back