• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig eye removal surgery

Morgie16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We noticed a lump next to the eye on our 3 year old female guinea pig. They are thinking it is an abscess. They did x-rays to confirm that it was not due to anything dental/teeth related. Right now she is on terramycin, orbax, meloxicam and artificial tears. She is unable to lubricate the eye herself due to the swelling and the pressure put on the eye. They want to look into getting it removed so they can get back behind the eye and get whatever it is out or if it is the eye itself. She is leaning towards an abscess but isn't ruling out a possible tumorous growth as well.

Unfortunately due to where we live, exotic pet surgeons are not local. We are waiting to hear back from a exotic surgeon if they are even capable or experienced enough to do the eye removal surgery within a 30 mile radius. If they can't, we are looking at a 6+ hour car ride to a university that is equipped enough for a surgery like that.
If we choose not to proceed with the surgery we are looking at palliative care management to keep her comfortable until her quality of life dissipates which include antibiotics, inflammation, pain meds, artificial tear drops.

Has anyone experienced a dilemma like this? What did you do? Does only having one eye as a prey animal effect their daily lives? Has anyone gone through an eye removal surgery and still had an abscess issue? Would a 6 hour car ride up to university and all the way back home stress her out too much?

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aw, so sorry for you. I have two piggies who travel 5-6 hours each way to have conscious dental and they travel very well. I’m sure there is some forum members on here who have had piggie who’ve had an eye removed due to an abscess. there is a search box in the green bar, perhaps you could have a look through. Good luck, hope she makes a sound recovery x

Lorcan

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can't answer your questions re: surgery, but from being on the forum and reading prior threads and questions - lacking an eye is probably not going to be an issue for her. Apparently guinea pigs don't have great eyesight anyway, they tend to rely better on smell and I know there's been a few forum members with blind guinea pigs that have managed just fine :)
I'm sorry I can't answer any of your other questions, though.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
If you can, I would definitely have the surgery to have the eye taken out. It was due to an abscess but I once had a piggy who had an eye removed and she live a perfectly happy normal life with one eye

Morgie16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank your for the replies! Our exotic vet in town is going to do the eye removal surgery on Monday (it’s Friday now). Of course we are hoping for a safe surgery, speedy recovery and a long healthy life for our piggy. Right now it’s a bit stressful as her eye is dying and very swollen. We are continuing with all the meds and hoping for the best until Monday. She is a strong little girl and eating and taking her meds like a champ for now.

Alison c

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aww hope all goes well for your lil one on Monday plese let us know we'll all be thinking of you xx

Morgie16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just wanted to give an update. We are home. The surgery part was successful. They removed the eye and said the infection was all within the eye.

However since we have been home she isn’t doing well. Her surgery was this morning around 10am, we brought her home around 4pm and it is now about 9:30 pm. She has not eaten or really moved. I held her and gave her some meds and she has very labored breathing. I made her as comfortable as I can. I got a little bit of critical care down her but she was not wanting it. I have her surrounded by her hay and favorite veggies. I will be sitting out next to her all night. I don’t know what more that I can do.

This surgery was the only option that we had that would allow her to live a longer healthy life that’s why we chose to do it. But seeing her in pain and so not herself really makes me question if I chose to do the right thing.

We have a 24/7 emergency vet but they are mainly a dog/cat vet. I can’t think of anything that they could do that would be worth even more stress to rush her too.

Does anyone know about anything that I’m not thinking of or could do? I am so heartbroken 💔

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep syringe feeding little and often and call your vets back as soon as they open again for further advice. However if she goes downhill then I would go to the emergency vet

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree. Keep her warm and comfortable and phone your own vet for advise. You could even phone the emergency vet if needed.

But please be assured that you made the right decision. She couldn’t have gone on with her eye the way it was

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Immediate post surgery can be rocky.
You made the only possible decision for her.
As advised - a little syringe feeding often to help get her guts working.

What meds do you have?
Is her pain well under control?

Holding you in my heart.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thinking of you both today. Keep up with the syringe feeding, a little and often.
My fingers are crossed for your little one x