• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig in pain when he wee/poo

Lorenslittlepigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Jerry my guineapig is 7 years old. On Monday I noticed a case of fly strike starting on his back (during the heat wave it has been incredibly hard to keep cool whilst keeping flys away) it was early days so luckily got rid of the maggots and took him to the vet where she checked him over, shaved the area, treated it with a spot on treatment (she said just in case some
Maggots had made it into his behind) gave me some
baytril antibiotics and told
Me to clean his wound everyday - which I’ve been doing. He seems fine, perky, eating loads and drinking moderate amounts. He’s always talking when I get him out so that’s good. The one thing I have noticed and I think i had picked up on it before the fly strike incident was the amount of pain he seems to be in when he wees. I think it’s primarily wee, however he does tend to poo around the same time so it’s hard to tell. I haven’t noticed any blood and when i get him out I have him on a puppy potty training Matt which is white so I can see the colour of his urine is normal, and he urinates and poo’s often which is good I believe?.

My vet had said to mix the baytril antibiotics with fruit juice or water to help Jerry take it in so I’ve been mixing it with diluted cranberry juice in the hopes that it will help in some way for the time being if he does have problems with his bladder.
With Jerry being on his third day of antibiotics I believe we still have a couple left, I didn’t really want to take him to the vet as they wouldn’t be able to prescribe him any antibiotics whilst he’s on a course already. Am I right In thinking I should wait until the end of the week when the antibio course is Over and see how Jerry is with his urinating? Could It even be he’s sore from the fly strike which has left him a wound on his behind and that’s what’s encouraging him to squeak when he wees? Is there any at home tests I should try in the mean time to work out the source of the problem?
could it even be the start of old age bladder problems? Any suggestions on this would be appreciated, apologies for such a long post.

Hello, I am very sorry for your predicament. He could well be starting with a uti if he is in pain whilst urinating and / or pooing. The baytril may or may not treat the problem. Worse case scenario is he has a bladder stone but a vet will usually feel the bladder to see whether it is hard and painful or soft and relaxed.

I would have him seen again by the vet to check for a uti. How long is the baytril course?

Hi Claire, Thankyou for your response. I was hoping It would more likely be a UTI as that is treated slightly easier than the latter😩 especially at his old age. I’ve just checked and the course of antibiotics is 10 days which I have to admit I thought It would be less than that. On the bright side it should be long enough that if he does have UTI then it should hopefully improve with the course. Fingers crossed. Do you know if a UTI leads to bladder stones or are the two unrelated?
Loren

Hi Claire, Thankyou for your response. I was hoping It would more likely be a UTI as that is treated slightly easier than the latter😩 especially at his old age. I’ve just checked and the course of antibiotics is 10 days which I have to admit I thought It would be less than that. On the bright side it should be long enough that if he does have UTI then it should hopefully improve with the course. Fingers crossed. Do you know if a UTI leads to bladder stones or are the two unrelated?
Loren

10 days is an average course so I wouldn’t worry about that. They can have bladder stones and a uti at the same time but I would expect him to be passing a lot of blood and to be in a lot of pain if he has a bladder stone

Well done spotting the fly strike and getting it treated so fast.
Hope the other issue is unrelated and he recovers quickly

Back