• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig is lethargic and isn't eating much.

Erinmartinx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi all, i have noticed over the past few days that my guinea pig is becoming increasingly more lethargic and isn't eating/drinking as much as usual. i have started to pull her out of her cage a few times a day to give her some vegetables, as i am worried her cage mate is taking it all. she eats a little but not as much as usual and only seems to touch the cucumber. she has completely gone of kale and is only really eating hay right now. i am worried shes lacking in vitamin c as today i noticed she hasn't really been moving around her cage much and seems to be struggling to walk. i am taking her to the vet tomorrow but i am concerned that she isn't drinking or eating. is there anyway i can try and get some food in her, or should i just leave her and take her to the vets tomorrow. i have given her orange juice mixed with water to try and get some vitamins in her i just want to keep her as comfortable as possible.

thanks in advance,

Erin

Hi 🙂
Critical care is very useful for piggies not eating enough for themselves. You mix the powder with water and syringe it into the pigs mouth. It has all the vitamins they need so you don't have to give orange juice which has far too much sugar to be fed really. Soaking pellets in hot water and feeding once lukewarm works too if you don't have critical care.

You should also weigh your piggy daily until they are eating well again so you can check if they are eating enough.

I have this critical care:
Critical Care | Oxbow | Shop Today

I am so sorry. I am in a similar situation with my piglet, Stubbins.
Sending positive healing vibes your way. 💕
Do you have Critical Care (to syringe feed her)?
You may find helpful information here:
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
i currently don't have any critical care. i have tried giving her some kale and cucumber which she has eaten and is also eating some hay. do you know where i can purchase critical care from?

Do you have a 1 mL syringe?
If she has normal pellets, then you can mush those up. Put a handful in a cup, pour on boiling water (enough to cover the food and just a little bit more), and leave for five minutes. Mix into a paste-like solution and add more water if needed to get a syringeable paste.
Make sure that it is NOT hot when you feed your piglet.
It is always good to have some Critical Care in case of an emergency.
I use the Oxbow Brand, which is linked above.
💕

Do you have a 1 mL syringe?
If she has normal pellets, then you can mush those up. Put a handful in a cup, pour on boiling water (enough to cover the food and just a little bit more), and leave for five minutes. Mix into a paste-like solution and add more water if needed to get a syringeable paste.
Make sure that it is NOT hot when you feed your piglet.
It is always good to have some Critical Care in case of an emergency.
I use the Oxbow Brand, which is linked above.
💕
thank you. i have just given her some pellets mixed with water and will get some critical care for her and for any emergencies in the future. thanks for the help :luv:

It’s good that you have a vet appointment tomorrow.
Let us know how you get on.
If you don’t have a syringe then try offering her pellet mush on a spoon.
I find that a small piece of banana mashed with the mush also goes down well.

i will do. thanks for the advice.🥰

I wouldn't worry about buying critical care. I only ever have it if the vet has prescribed it. Otherwise I will always just mush up pellets and syringe that. The pellets are fortified with vitamins so there is no need to add orange juice to water for them. Hope the vet is able to get to the bottom of it all tomorrow

update on Oreo.

i have taken her to the vets this morning. vet did an x-ray and ultrasound to check for bladder stones etc but couldn't find anything obvious which is good. she gave me some emeprid and pain relief to hopefully get her gut moving again. i am also having to collect w urine sample as she said she may be having too much calcium and is under weight. hoping she starts to make an improvement. thanks for all the advice :luv:

Back