• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig scared and not moving to eat hay, feed or vegetables.

iamclarinha

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, my guinea pig is very scared, he doesn't want to walk, he just wants to stay huddled in the corner of the enclosure or inside a burrow, he gets scared of everything and doesn't want to walk to eat. What can it be? I know that if it persists I should go to the vet but I would like to know your opinion since the last time I had a problem with that same guinea pig the forum helped me much more than a vet.

How long have you had him?
Does he live with another piggy? A piggy living by themselves are usually very scared. Piggies always need companionship and interaction with another piggy.

Do you place his hay inside his hides so he can eat without coming out?

Do you weigh him weekly as part of routine care?
is he gaining/maintaining his weight?

If he is not eating and is unwell, then you need to step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed and see a vet. You will also need to switch to daily weight checks to monitor his hay intake

I've had him for 2 years, he has brother that lives with him, which is 3 years old, yes I put hay, water and feed near where he is. he is eating, the problem is that he only eats when I put him close. otherwise, he doesn't move to eat and when he tries to walk he gets scared and runs to hide

I've had him for 2 years, he has brother that lives with him, which is 3 years old, yes I put hay, water and feed near where he is.
he's sniffing and sniffing all the time, forgot to mention that too

Ok, I’m glad he has a friend.

Are you weighing him weekly as part of routine care?

If he is not eating and is unwell, then you need to step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed and see a vet. You will also need to switch to daily weight checks to know you are getting enough syringe feed into him and monitor his independent hay intake.

It sounds like he needs to see a vet

If he is not eating and is unwell, then you need to step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed and see a vet. You will also need to switch to daily weight checks to know you are getting enough syringe feed into him and monitor his independent hay intake.

It sounds like he needs to see a vet.

what it can be he's snifffing all the time? As if scared

what it can be he's snifffing all the time? As if scared

It could be a respiratory issue which would require vet care.

Again, are you weighing him regularly? This is essential as without it you cannot know his hay intake. If he is losing weight through lack of hay intake then he urgently needs help

yes i weigh him often he is ok. I'm worried, I think he might be anxious about something or scared but I can't understand :(

You need to rule out medical issues first and foremost.
Ok good, so he is maintaining his weight at each weekly check? If so then it means he is eating enough hay.

Does he get on with the other piggy? Do they interact with each other?
Is he scared of the other piggy and is therefore not coming out to avoid the other piggy?
Is he being bullied? Constant withdrawal and refusal to come out can be a sign of bullying and depression.
Should that be the case, then the piggies would need to be separated and live in side by side cages.

Do all the hides have two exits?
Is their cage big enough for two boars (180x60cm)?

Bonds In Trouble

Hi guys, my guinea pig is very scared, he doesn't want to walk, he just wants to stay huddled in the corner of the enclosure or inside a burrow, he gets scared of everything and doesn't want to walk to eat. What can it be? I know that if it persists I should go to the vet but I would like to know your opinion since the last time I had a problem with that same guinea pig the forum helped me much more than a vet.

Hi

How long have you had your piggy? Is he an only piggy?

Please place a large towel or sheet over the top of the cage and leave the room. Place hay and water close to the hut. Keep in mind that over three quarters of what your piggy should eat in a day is hay, hay and more hay.

You can find lots of very helpful practical settling in and making friends and health monitoring advice in these forum guides here, which contain all the how-to tips we cannot repeat in every post:

Practical settling in tips:
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In (a great guide for how to best manage the settling in phase)
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs (please read to understand where your piggy is coming from)

Companionship
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (includes a chapter on companionship issues
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Prey animal instincts and skittish/frozen newbies:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Health monitoring and spotting signs of illness
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Early Signs Of Illness
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights
Tips For Vet Visits

Our new owners information collection, with lots more practical tips and helpful information (you may want to bookmark this link): Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back