Guinea Pig Shampoo In The States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parnassus

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all!

I have a guinea pig who peed on some cardboard, then squatted on the urine puddle. Her fur around her bottom is now grimy and matted.

I'm trying to find guinea pig safe shampoo that I can get within the next week, but I'm not finding anything. I live in the USA, Oregon.

I looked up the recommended products in the guinea pig bathing guide, but they would all take about a month to arrive and I don't want my sow living with such a grimy matted butt for so long. :)

Any help or product suggestions would be amazing! Thanks!

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is safe to use a baby shampoo/bath stuff. This is not a suggestion but more of a question to the more experienced bathers on here. If they come back and say it's safe then perhaps that could be an option.

Parnassus

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've read that baby shampoo will irritate and dry out a guinea pig's skin, because of the chemical content found in baby shampoos.

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would use coconut oil just to wash that part of her if I couldn't get shampoo- I wouldn't wash the whole of her with it, especially if it's only her bum that is dirty. However I'm no bathing expert so hopefully somebody more experienced will come along soon

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've read that baby shampoo will irritate and dry out a guinea pig's skin, because of the chemical content found in baby shampoos.
Hmm then I have no other ideas aside from trying to rinse most of the dirt out with just water until your shampoos arrive and to try trim any untangleable mats.

Sorry :soz:

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
have you any small animal shampoos at a local pet shop,or maybe ask the advise of a vet?gorgous guinea pig shampoos are excellentbut again this would mean a delay due to international shipping.good luck in your search.

Parnassus

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips - I saw my vet today and she hooked me up with Relief HC Shampoo and Creme Rinse (conditioner). She says they're soap free and safe to use as needed for the guinea pigs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.