• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovehammys263

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have decided to buy the guinea pigs a shed instead of a hutch but I am still bit unsure about a few things.
I am going to get one which gets built for you because I am terrible with diy! The size of the shed I would like to get is either a 7ft by 5ft or a 8ft by 6ft .

I was also thinking of getting one with a veranda and then meshing it so in the day( as long as it isn't too cold) I could open the door for them so they could have fresh air. But I'm not sure how I would attach the mesh. I thought maybe with a staple gun but I have a cat next door and I would be worried about her pulling the mesh of and getting to the guinea pigs. What do you think?

Do any of you keep your guinea pigs in sheds? If so I have a few questions!:

1. Where did you get your shed from and did it come with free assembly or did you have to assemble it?

2. How do you keep it ventilated?

3. How do you keep the piggies in the shed warm in winter?

4. How do you keep the guinea pigs in the shed cool in summer?

Thanks

I have decided to buy the guinea pigs a shed instead of a hutch but I am still bit unsure about a few things.
I am going to get one which gets built for you because I am terrible with diy! The size of the shed I would like to get is either a 7ft by 5ft or a 8ft by 6ft .

I was also thinking of getting one with a veranda and then meshing it so in the day( as long as it isn't too cold) I could open the door for them so they could have fresh air. But I'm not sure how I would attach the mesh. I thought maybe with a staple gun but I have a cat next door and I would be worried about her pulling the mesh of and getting to the guinea pigs. What do you think? - I used aviary mesh and nailed it, but I am sure a heavy duty staple gun would be great - aviary mesh is great too as cats cans get their paws in, unlike the larger bars you seen on some runs - an attached veranda would be good.

1. Where did you get your shed from and did it come with free assembly or did you have to assemble it?
bought mine from Tesco, but in hindsight it wasn't solid enough - so moved to more sturdy T&G shed and intend to get electric in to light in winter as found battery lights drained too quickly and a torch wasn't adequate if I wanted to clean after teatime. Get as big and as sturdy as you can afford - also it may be best to make sure you can accommodate a hutch in the shed incase you decide to put one in later, as it does give extra protection from the cold in the winter as it may get too cold to let them free range in the shed, and is handy to lock them in when cleaning too!

2. How do you keep it ventilated? Have the door open all day with a mesh door to keep cats out - will need to add more vents at high level for winter otherwise it will get damp inside if not ventilated - hope to do that soon! On hot days they are outside in covered runs with shelters as my shed isn't insulated yet and is too hot even with the door open, and then I bring them back in at night once the temp drops (I have a thermometer in the shed).

3. How do you keep the piggies in the shed warm in winter? they live in hutches in the shed so I just make sure the hutch is well insulated on the outside (aluminium bubble wrap from bQ to top bottom, sides and back of hutch all year anyway) put an old sleeping bag over front at night and put in extra hay in cardboard boxes and microwave heatpads at night. I also make sure their bedding (fleece) is totally dry at night or I change it before bedtime too.

4. How do you keep the guinea pigs in the shed cool in summer? I find I have to get them out of the shed is the only way until its properly insulated - its amazing how much the temp can rise well above the outside temp during hot days and I wouldn't want roasted piggies! I'd put them in runs with raincovers and mini hutch shelters to retreat too than in the shed. in the summer the shed is just a secure place to sleep at night or for exercising in during wet colder days.

hope this helps!

Thanks

Fingers crossed! I'm getting mine with ventilation grids around the eaves, opening widows with security mesh and stable door with an internal mesh step-over door. Thinking about shade-netting the windows & top half of the stable door in the summer as the shed will be in quite a sunny place. Winter, I'm not sure! solid construction will help with warmth and drafts anyway, might bubble wrap the windows. May persuade bf to help me insulate the floor and roof before piggies move in

I bought my shed from a local supplier and it was built for me.

I didn't have it insulated last year but used an oil filled radiator to keep them warm in winter. Unfortunatley it is south facing so they spend most of their time in the garden in summer. It does also have ventilation plates on opposite corners but because I asked for a stable door I can leave the top door open all the time unless very cold.

I am reconfiguring my set inside of it as I am no longer boarding so will have a bench put all the way round with c&c style cages for my pigges and the bottom will be split in 2 for my bunnies so they will then have a 6x8 ft area permanently and then going to put access to outdoor runs for them too.

It better be for the money I'm spending! Pics will be put when it is set up! Bf is concerned for my sanity but has admitted to being 'a little bit' excited at the though of getting gpigs, and that level of expressed enthusiasm is huge for him!

dont think I pasted this in properly! :lol!:

I used aviary mesh and nailed it, but I am sure a heavy duty staple gun would be great - aviary mesh is great too as cats cans get their paws in, unlike the larger bars you seen on some runs - an attached veranda would be good.

bought mine from Tesco, but in hindsight it wasn't solid enough - so moved to more sturdy T&G shed and intend to get electric in to light in winter as found battery lights drained too quickly and a torch wasn't adequate if I wanted to clean after teatime. Get as big and as sturdy as you can afford - also it may be best to make sure you can accommodate a hutch in the shed incase you decide to put one in later, as it does give extra protection from the cold in the winter as it may get too cold to let them free range in the shed, and is handy to lock them in when cleaning too!

2. How do you keep it ventilated? Have the door open all day with a mesh door to keep cats out - will need to add more vents at high level for winter otherwise it will get damp inside if not ventilated - hope to do that soon! On hot days they are outside in covered runs with shelters as my shed isn't insulated yet and is too hot even with the door open, and then I bring them back in at night once the temp drops (I have a thermometer in the shed).

3. How do you keep the piggies in the shed warm in winter? they live in hutches in the shed so I just make sure the hutch is well insulated on the outside (aluminium bubble wrap from bQ to top bottom, sides and back of hutch all year anyway) put an old sleeping bag over front at night and put in extra hay in cardboard boxes and microwave heatpads at night. I also make sure their bedding (fleece) is totally dry at night or I change it before bedtime too.

4. How do you keep the guinea pigs in the shed cool in summer? I find I have to get them out of the shed is the only way until its properly insulated - its amazing how much the temp can rise well above the outside temp during hot days and I wouldn't want roasted piggies! I'd put them in runs with raincovers and mini hutch shelters to retreat too than in the shed. in the summer the shed is just a secure place to sleep at night or for exercising in during wet colder days.

hope this helps!

Thanks

dont think I pasted this in properly! :lol!:

I used aviary mesh and nailed it, but I am sure a heavy duty staple gun would be great - aviary mesh is great too as cats cans get their paws in, unlike the larger bars you seen on some runs - an attached veranda would be good.

hope this helps!

Thanks

Thanks for the information! I will definitely be using some of those tips!
I would really like one from Boyles pet housing but it comes flat packed so it would cost about £200 for someone to build it for me so the combined cost would be about £800 and I really can't afford that :(.
Also do you think I could have a shed on gravel?

My shed sits on blocks on gravel as I was told that is a good way to stop rising damp. Seems to be dry enough having sat there for over a year! It also means you don't need a totally level site as long as the blocks are built up to be level with each other if you know what I mean!

I built my tesco shed, but the other one they are in is built. If I had the choice I would get someone else as it was time consuming, but not a disaster if you are handy with a good electric screwdriver!

I got mine from Garden Buildings Direct I think (online). We had to assemble it!

2. How do you keep it ventilated?
This has been one of the major problems of buying a mass-produced shed - it didn't come with ventilation and that's caused some of the damage to the shed to the point where I'm actually moving them out of the shed and into the garage. I'd definitely suggest fitting some ventilation grids!

3. How do you keep the piggies in the shed warm in winter?
We used an oil-filled radiator. We didn't insulate the shed (though we could have done, it wouldn't have been a problem) but the heater did a great job keeping the cold off, even in the coldest of weather!

4. How do you keep the guinea pigs in the shed cool in summer?
This is the second problem of my shed. It gets very, very warm. Its got a large opening window, and when it's particularly hot we take the perspex out of the other windows. We've also got an insertable mesh door (so we open up the door and the mesh one sits in the opening and is fixed in) to get as much air flow as possible. I've also put a fan in there from time to time, especially when it's really hot.

I've loved my shed, but it's got its problems for me. Having as many piggies as I do, condensation/moisture was the biggest one so that's why I'm moving my piggies into the garage in the next few weeks. You've just got to plan ahead (hindsight has been wonderful for me to know what to do if I get another shed in future) in terms of getting proper ventilation in there and insulation if you feel it needs it. Mine wasn't a cheap shed (nearly £500), but if I were buying one now, I'd save and spend a lot more. A lot of the T&G has separated (...) and it now leaks a little when it rains. I've only had it four years and it gets two coats of treatment a year so I'm not best pleased. If I didn't have access to the garage, I was looking at buying quite a large workshop shed (better quality build) and would have had it modified specifically for my piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back