• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Sneezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggyBubba

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello
I have a female guinea pig who is about 5 months old.

She was extremely healthy and I got her from this farm called Cathy's Critters.

Lately she has been sneezing once in a while and I read that a little bit of sneezing is ok. So today she starting just sneezing so much and her nose was all wet and her whiskers have snot on them.

I'm so scared because we can't take her to a vet because vets are too expensive. What can I do? Pls help! I am so scared.

I want to know if there is a way to make her better in my own.

Thank you soooo much for the help!

Oh dear it is possible she might have a respiratory infection :( She really needs to see a vet, unfortunately the longer you leave it the worse she will become if it is a URI, it's best to get her seen asap especially as she is so young.

Oh dear it is possible she might have a respiratory infection :( She really needs to see a vet, unfortunately the longer you leave it the worse she will become if it is a URI, it's best to get her seen asap especially as she is so young.
I tried but unfortunately my family has fallen on hard times financially and we can't afford vet visits. If I don't take her will she die? I feel like a very bad mom right now. I don't know what to do.

Are you in the UK? In the UK we have the PDSA which can get pets help even if their owners can't afford normal vet fees. If you are in the US it might be worth contacting your local Shelter in case they can help. If you cannot afford vet bills you might need to consider rehoming your piggies sadly, as they can be expensive when they become ill, it is likely that one of them will need vet treatment in their lives at some point :(

:bye:Ok update I just read that there is a chance this might be an allergic reaction.
So yesterday my piggie ran away from me and his under my couch for a long time. Could she just be irritated from the dust?
I cleaned her up and she stopped sneezing a little. I don't have PDSA or anything of that type here in Texas.

Could it just be an allergy?

Hi it could be an allergy yes. Usually with a URI other symptoms will soon come into play. Is her breathing wheezy? Has she got crusty eyes or nose? Is she lethargic?

I had this worry with my Mo last year October where he started sneezing frequently. I took him to the vet and luckily in my case the vet said it looked like an allergy bit gave me antibiotics (baytril) and metacam just in case. Mo has stopped sneezing- obviously he still has the odd couple.

Now have you just changed hay? What bedding are they on? If you're using sawdust try a less dusty product and buy some dust free hay. If you've added anything to their cage like a new toy recently remove it and see if you notice a difference. Place a bowl of steaming hot water next to the cage to help clear the airways and I would bathe the nose with warm water to rid it of snot. Make sure she eats and drinks- bare in mind you may have to syringe feed.

Now you do need to ideally see a vet which I know can be expensive. Leaving it will only increase the bill and (if it is a URI) increase the risk of loosing your piggy. Hopefully it is just an allergy in which case you'll pay about $30? for? I live in the UK tho so that's just an approximate. If you can't afford a vet you will have to think about the piggies best interests. It's likely to need more vet care in the future and you need to take into account whether you'll be able to afford it. If not I do advise you seeing a shelter for help- it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I agree. This could be an allergy, but it is probably more likely to be an infection, for which the only treatment is antibiotics from the vet. It is not something that will get better on its own. If you can't afford the vet fees, then contact a rescue for some help. xx

What colour was the snot? If it's clear then it could be an allergy. If it was yellow/green then it's a sign of infection and will need antibiotics.

If it were my pig l would follow what Jaycey has put in her post and think about seeing a vet if there is yellow or green snot
What colour was the snot? If it's clear then it could be an allergy. If it was yellow/green then it's a sign of infection and will need antibiotics.

The snot is clear ish and a little white.
I haven't changed anything about her cage but lately my carefresh is a little dusty. I'm going to switch to fleece and get her into a bigger cage. On either thing is that she seems to be shedding a lot more than usual. Could that be another symptom?
She seems to be eating well. My mom agreed to let me contact a vet and get a professional opinion, so fingers crossed.

:D:woot:Thanks guys.
I really appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back