• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Suddenly Not Eating Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banbh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got four guinea pigs, two males & two females. It's one of the females I'm worried about.

Pickle has been rather quiet today, as well as not eating very much. She's still pooing, and they don't look unusual. Booked a vet appointment for tomorrow, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to prehaps make her more comfortable? I've also had a check of her eyes, teeth, skin etc, and can't see anything untoward. Her breathing is fairly regular.

You've done great by checking her over to see if there was anything visibly wrong.

The best case scenario is getting her to eat enough before her vet appointment.

Try offering her some of her favourite foods. And try getting her out on her own and giving her chance to eat something without the others disturbing her or stealing the food.

If she's really not eating, and/or her poop output lessens then it'll be worth handfeeding her a bit. If you don't have any syringe food to hand you can wet some pellets and offer them, preferably by syringe but on a spoon might help.

I hope the vet visit goes well, let us know how she gets on.

You've done great by checking her over to see if there was anything visibly wrong.

The best case scenario is getting her to eat enough before her vet appointment.

Try offering her some of her favourite foods. And try getting her out on her own and giving her chance to eat something without the others disturbing her or stealing the food.

If she's really not eating, and/or her poop output lessens then it'll be worth handfeeding her a bit. If you don't have any syringe food to hand you can wet some pellets and offer them, preferably by syringe but on a spoon might help.

I hope the vet visit goes well, let us know how she gets on.

I have her away from her cage mate at the moment, just so I can keep a close eye on her. She's nibbled a tiny bit of pepper, but not much.

@Banbh I wouldn't separate her completely as she might start to feel depressed if she misses her cagemate. Just take her out for a little while to see if she eats. And if she doesn't then start with handfeeding.

I've got four guinea pigs, two males & two females. It's one of the females I'm worried about.

Pickle has been rather quiet today, as well as not eating very much. She's still pooing, and they don't look unusual. Booked a vet appointment for tomorrow, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to prehaps make her more comfortable? I've also had a check of her eyes, teeth, skin etc, and can't see anything untoward. Her breathing is fairly regular.

Good that you have checked. Be aware that the poo output usually lags behind a day or two depending on how well the guts work. But that means whatever is going on is just happening now.

Please start offering syringe feed and water. You can make the feed with mushed up pellets in an emergency. Otherwise, just keep warm (but not hot) and as comfy as you can until you can get her to the vets.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Good that you have checked. Be aware that the poo output usually lags behind a day or two depending on how well the guts work. But that means whatever is going on is just happening now.

Please start offering syringe feed and water. You can make the feed with mushed up pellets in an emergency. Otherwise, just keep warm (but not hot) and as comfy as you can until you can get her to the vets.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thank you for the useful guide and advice.

Took Pickle to the vets at 09.50. Have to admit, I do feel a little bit guilty about the fact that she's unwell. I know it's not my fault, but still...vet said it was possibly pain related, but not sure where. They're keeping her in for the day, so will give her fluids/syringe feed/give antibiotics.

Well...Pickle passed away at the vets. I feel terrible. Wish I could've done something earlier to stop what ever it was that happened.

I'm sorry you lost your Pickle.you did everything you could,got her to a vet.so try not to feel guilty,despite it being a natural part of grief.Hugs to youx

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could for her. Sometimes it's just their time to go.

Hugs to you, I hope you're okay x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back