• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig URI/possible pneumonia please help!

annapanutsa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, we got a young girl 2 weeks ago as a new friend for our existing guinea pig (we initially had 2, one died suddenly from suspected heart condition, so we had to get a companion for the surviving pig). I knew something was wrong with the new one right away: crusty eyes, nose boogers, sneezing
and coarse voice/clicking sound when breathing. We rushed her to our exotics vet the same day we got her, and the vet said it's URI. We were given antibiotics (Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim) for 2 weeks, her nose and eyes cleared, the breathing sounded normal, she started making noises and wheeking.
3 days after being off the meds (that was yesterday), I noticed her not making noises while walking/not wheeking, the breathing seemed rapid again. She was also not as excited/active as our other guinea pig during floor time. We took her back to the vet today, they suspected pneumonia or URI comeback and gave us Chloramphenicol (as Palmitate) and Meloxidyl, I'm also giving her Childlife liquid vitamin C. I attached a video of her breathing - when I listen to her, she doesn't seem to be making clicking noises. She's eating and drinking so far, not as much as our healthy guinea pig though.
Does anyone have any additional recommendations on what to give her, or suspicions of what exactly this might be? Should I go back and press them for an x-ray? We just lost a piggy this month and I can't take losing another one. All help and advice are welcome, thank you!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. I’m sorry you lost your other piggy so quickly.

With regards your new girl, given she is on antibiotics I would give her a probiotic either an hour before or an hour afterwards. They can play havoc with the guts. You need to weigh her daily at the same time as well. If she’s losing weight daily then you have to step in and syringe feed her regularly throughout the day.

As for the antibiotics or what else you could do, I really don’t know. If she doesn’t seem to be improving then yes you should take her back to be seen. Is it that her breathing is rapid?

Your video didn’t work. It would probably be easier to upload it somewhere like YouTube or Vimeo then post a link here.

annapanutsa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response! I'll look for a probiotic at Whole Foods tonight, would the one for human babies be ok?

Here's a link to Youtube
I've attached the video above through "insert link" function, idk why it didn't work :( hoping it works now!