• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig with frequent dried blood around nostril

Emm_b12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My piggy Rosie has been through a lot with the vet, just this summer (2020) shes been through three rounds of meds and one X-ray. We initially took her in for blood coming out with her stool, and the vet’s recommendations never did stop it... anyways, she’s always been a bit sneezy, but lately I’ve noticed again (happened in the spring) I come home from work to see her with dried blood around one nostril. It’s always her left side, and sometimes she has a watery eye on the left, too. But just tonight has I had her out for floor time I witnessed a sneeze with a bit of blood and wiped her off. I’m unsure about taking her to the vet since this seems like a cycle and antibiotics won’t end it for good. Is it possible she has allergies/ needs a humidifier? She’s eating and playing perfectly fine besides the occasional sneeze that needs a wiping. Very confusing. Any advice would help, thanks!

I think you need to get this checked out by the vet, maybe get a second opinion if your usual vet cannot help... sneezing occasionally is perfectly normal, but blood isnt- maybe she has something stuck up her nose? A piece of hay or something like that?

Did you manage to get her seen yet?

Hi, yes! Since she is acting fine other than the nose, the vet said it might be because of changing seasons and dryness in the air. We have an antibiotic and anti inflammatory for her to take daily and I’m getting a humidifier for her as well! Waiting for that to be delivered, we have been doing 10 min in the bathroom with it all humid to help loosen anything up in her respiratory system.
so far, she’s been doing really well with this, hopefully after the two weeks of medication and continued humidifying she won’t have any more irritation with her nose!

Update on Rosie,
the medication and humidity did not help with sneezing blood. After a re-checkup with the emergency clinic, they referred me to a specialized vet almost two hours away for a possible ultrasound or CT scan. We are headed there tomorrow; the doctor said if she’s acting fine other than the nose I could wait until October, but I feel so bad for my piggy I want to get this sorted out! I’ll update in a few days.

All the best for tomorrow.

Thank you all for the well wishes, it means a lot to have support❤️ Rosie is about 6 1/2 years old, and that never really hit me until these vet appointments. They don’t suggest putting an old piggy through imaging with sedation, and it would probably end up with a surgery recommendation, which old piggies shouldn’t have to put up with. They said she most likely has a tumor in her nose causing blood, and she has a cyst on a nipple that has been there forever, but blood has been coming with poop every month or so, and they believe that could be cancerous as well.

It was really hard to hear and understand that, but she is old and very happy at home with me, so I will continue to keep her happy❤️ She doesn’t act as if she is in pain, still doing all the normal activities, so that is good to see. I attached a pic of her out for playtime, she loves taking laps around my living room, especially checking out under the tables!1A6FDFCA-21D4-4327-B4AF-B693E88842C3.jpeg

I’m sorry it’s not the news you wanted to hear. Just enjoy your time with her. As long as she’s happy then that’s fine - you will know when the time has come 💞

Really hope you’ve got lots more time together, sounds like she’s loved and very spoilt like she should be! Sorry it’s not better news. She’s so beautiful :luv:
We’re all here if you need us x

Sorry to hear about the not so great diagnosis. Piggies live for happy todays and it sounds like Rosie's been living a lovely long life filled with happy todays. I hope she has many more to come ❤️

Back