• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs Bad luck

Micela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello, i'll keep it short and simple, within about 9 months time ive gone through about 4 guinea pigs and all of them just seem to get sick and die.
i had hani who had a urinary infection and i got rid of it.. then a few months later she died of unknown causes after going to the vet and the vet giving medicin, checking her stuff and giving me a nice bill. the next morning she was dead. i bought hani a friend named peekaboo who was 3 to 4 years old when i got her from a shelter, and she was .. mistreated i think, she finally got used to me and loved being on my lap and loved attention, a change from the shy guinea pig who never made noise. she died a few weeks ago.. had diarrhea and layed on her side, brought her to the vet, but she died. then i brought these 2 guinea pigs named Cinnamon and Suga, Suga is now keeping one eye closed and seems to have an infection and the other one is sneezing and crusty nose, idk if its my luck but ive tried everything, i brought them a huge cage with paper bedding, give them vegetables (not too much) and buy them snacks and so on, different hays, so on but yet they seem to keep dying.. i love them over everything but everytime they get sick i wonder are they worth the pain.

hello, i'll keep it short and simple, within about 9 months time ive gone through about 4 guinea pigs and all of them just seem to get sick and die.
i had hani who had a urinary infection and i got rid of it.. then a few months later she died of unknown causes after going to the vet and the vet giving medicin, checking her stuff and giving me a nice bill. the next morning she was dead. i bought hani a friend named peekaboo who was 3 to 4 years old when i got her from a shelter, and she was .. mistreated i think, she finally got used to me and loved being on my lap and loved attention, a change from the shy guinea pig who never made noise. she died a few weeks ago.. had diarrhea and layed on her side, brought her to the vet, but she died. then i brought these 2 guinea pigs named Cinnamon and Suga, Suga is now keeping one eye closed and seems to have an infection and the other one is sneezing and crusty nose, idk if its my luck but ive tried everything, i brought them a huge cage with paper bedding, give them vegetables (not too much) and buy them snacks and so on, different hays, so on but yet they seem to keep dying.. i love them over everything but everytime they get sick i wonder are they worth the pain.

Hi!

Please see a vet asap for an eye poke; if left untreated it can lead to the loss of the eye and will require an eye removal operation. Eye injuries and infections can deteriorate very quickly if left. You vet will assess the damage with a special dye under UV light and then prescibe treatment as neceassary. In easier cases this consists of antibiotic eye drops, but in advanced cases you may also get an antibiotic, a painkiller/anti-inflammatory. You can additionally also as for tear gel to keep the eye hydrated and aid recovery, but you will need antibiotic treatment in some form other.

Your other guinea pig has a respiratory infection; which is very common in new guinea pigs. it requires an antibiotic to heal. If left unteated it can kill or damage permanently.
The sooner you treat and the sooner you step in with syringe feeding to keep the guts going and the fighting strength up. The need to breathe comes before the need to drink and only thirdly the need to eat. Any antibiotic will additionally impact on the gut bacteria, so respiratory infections are a double whammy.
If you have bought your piggies less than a month ago from a US pet shop, you can reclaim the vet cost from the shop.

This guide here has information on URI/bacterial respiratory infection and your customer rights: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Guinea Lynx :: URI

Please switch from weighing weighing once weekly as part of their normal health check to weighing daily at the same time as part of your illness care regime. You can feed mushed up pellets and lukewarm water in an emergency, as long as you cut off the tip off your syringe as shown in the syringe feeding guide in order to allow fibre coming through.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

i would bring them to the vet, and i have before but since my last ones kept dying.. my dad doesnt belive in the vet anymore, ive been begging and crying and fighting with him to go there, it pains me to think they are sick and i cant do anything, i asked if i could walk to the vet alone and he rejected it. then calls me lazy for not doing anything, i feel like a bad parent for my cuties.. and my two new borns are sick, both of them. he said i couldn't get any guinea pigs anymore even though i got them for emotional support when he rejected to give me unti depression, I'm scared to be without them but hes not helping.

Maybe you can show him Wiebke’s reply on here and explain that, even though you have been unlucky in the past, your current piggies need to be seen by a vet urgently before they get worse? I know it’s tough but hopefully he will realise that it’s urgent and take you to the vets. I’m sorry that youve has such rotten luck with your babies, I hope you can get Cinnamon and Suga back to full health again

i would bring them to the vet, and i have before but since my last ones kept dying.. my dad doesnt belive in the vet anymore, ive been begging and crying and fighting with him to go there, it pains me to think they are sick and i cant do anything, i asked if i could walk to the vet alone and he rejected it. then calls me lazy for not doing anything, i feel like a bad parent for my cuties.. and my two new borns are sick, both of them. he said i couldn't get any guinea pigs anymore even though i got them for emotional support when he rejected to give me unti depression, I'm scared to be without them but hes not helping.

Can you please show this thread here to your dad. Both piggies have got perfectly treatable problems and can live a normal healthy life span if they get treated NOW!

It is not like you have been failing and struggling with the same health issue all the time. Any vet can diagnose an eye injury; treatment is exactly the same whether it is a dog, a cat, a horse, or a guinea pig.
A respiratory infection needs a simple antibiotic; the sooner treated, the better the recovery.

How long have you had your guinea pigs? If you have had them for less of a month, then a pet shop will pay.

Freedom from curable illness and suffering from uncurable ones is one of the basic animal rights for any domestic animal, including any pets.

After showing, he did think about it.. after begging him we ended up bringing them to vet, and got them threated.. i think its pretty early so it was good we went today (and it was free of charge cause of a guarantee) my two piggies, Cinammon and Suga and greatful 😊 thank you so much !<3

Attachments

• 29B9DF32-D2AC-440A-8F1A-3C495DD1FC75.jpeg
    29B9DF32-D2AC-440A-8F1A-3C495DD1FC75.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 4
  • F0F4B772-A099-4F0E-A0C5-CBFD7EB6BDF4.jpeg
    F0F4B772-A099-4F0E-A0C5-CBFD7EB6BDF4.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
  • F1C7B476-7D79-4FA0-9918-BF14F7F3E75F.jpeg
    F1C7B476-7D79-4FA0-9918-BF14F7F3E75F.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
Back