• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pigs Drawing Blood?

makocali

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m a first time guinea pig owner, and am really needing advice on what to do with my boars. So my little brother lost interest in his guinea pig (it’s mate died shortly before) and I took on ownership. Mako is about a year old, and I bought 2 four month old boars as companions. I did the introduction in a neutral space and everything, and while everything went well initially, one of the introduced pigs acted really aggressively towards mako within the next couple of weeks, and drew blood on two occasions. I seperated him, and left Mako and the super submissive, quiet boar Cali together, because they got along really well. Today, about 2 months later, I came home and found Cali with multiple severe bites on his back. Him and Mako are still acting really friendly toward each other and I am shocked that Mako did this to him. Should I be separating him now? I don’t have a 3rd cage and I am struggling with money at the moment, so I am really hoping that there’s still hope? I’m so worried about Cali though, he’s a lot smaller than Mako and super submissive. Any guidance/advice would be really appreciated

19CE4991-0EE2-4E2B-9BC7-0630BC92221C.jpeg

D005E3A1-799C-440A-9FBA-FB8ED9C4DDD5.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

Please seperate immediately. They are not going to be able to be re introduced I am afraid. Next time it could be worse, and what has happened is pretty bad :(

Have a read of this Bonds In Trouble once blood is drawn then it is dangerous for them to remain together and results of another fight could be awful.

I am tagging in @Wiebke for you as my battery is about to die... Sorry

Thanks for the advice. I’ll seperate them now, but they’re going to have pretty small areas until I have money to get something bigger :( So sad that these two didn’t work out

so sorry for your bad adventure... I also don't foresee anything good for their future together...
But I want to suggest you something cheap for building a "cage" and accommodating the piggie: I have two runs bought on Zooplus (but you can buy it anywhere else). These runs are foldable and are made of 6 metallic pieces each. You can use one or two of them for making an extension at the cage or you can close the extension for the piggie who needs to be separated. I attach here some pictures so you can understand. I used these runs also for building a barrier into the kitchen when my boar needed to be separated from the girls.
This run allows you to change the room of the cage, it is foldable and easy to remove.
On the floor you need only an old blanket, some newspaper and a piece of fleece. Nothing else.
100_8250.JPG
100_8248.JPG
_dsc4831_4.jpg
PS: also the main cage is homemade... nothing special but it works and I paid 15-20€ for all the material...

Last edited:
so sorry for your bad adventure... I also don't foresee anything good for their future together...
But I want to suggest you something cheap for building a "cage" and accommodating the piggie: I have two runs bought on Zooplus (but you can buy it anywhere else). These runs are foldable and are made of 6 metallic pieces each. You can use one or two of them for making an extension to the cage or you can close the extension for the piggie who needs to be separated. I attach here some pictures so you can understand. I used these runs also for building a barrier into the kitchen when my boar needed to be seaparated from the girls.
This run allows you to change the room of the cage, it is foldable and easily to remove.
On the floor you need only an old blanket, some newspaper and a piece of fleece. Nothing else.
View attachment 81206
View attachment 81205
View attachment 81207
PS: also the main cage is homemade... nothing special but it works and I paid 15-20€ for all the material...
Like the look of that run from Zooplus!
My piggies are having their first day out in their runs so always looking for ways of extending areas so they all get some grass time. Not a lot of that just now but at least the sun is shining and grass still available from the cemetery!

Thanks for the advice. I’ll seperate them now, but they’re going to have pretty small areas until I have money to get something bigger :( So sad that these two didn’t work out
Like @rome_italy advice re getting foldable run from Zooplus. If you can afford this just make sure that it’s safely tied etc to prevent it falling over!
My C& C grids fell over and it could have been disastrous as my boars detest each other.

Hi guys, I’m a first time guinea pig owner, and am really needing advice on what to do with my boars. So my little brother lost interest in his guinea pig (it’s mate died shortly before) and I took on ownership. Mako is about a year old, and I bought 2 four month old boars as companions. I did the introduction in a neutral space and everything, and while everything went well initially, one of the introduced pigs acted really aggressively towards mako within the next couple of weeks, and drew blood on two occasions. I seperated him, and left Mako and the super submissive, quiet boar Cali together, because they got along really well. Today, about 2 months later, I came home and found Cali with multiple severe bites on his back. Him and Mako are still acting really friendly toward each other and I am shocked that Mako did this to him. Should I be separating him now? I don’t have a 3rd cage and I am struggling with money at the moment, so I am really hoping that there’s still hope? I’m so worried about Cali though, he’s a lot smaller than Mako and super submissive. Any guidance/advice would be really appreciated

View attachment 81193

View attachment 81194
Sounds like the little one was having hormone spikes, and Mako took the brunt of it. I see you mentioned you bought the two four months old together, is there any chance they can be re-introduced?

Like the look of that run from Zooplus!
My piggies are having their first day out in their runs so always looking for ways of extending areas so they all get some grass time. Not a lot of that just now but at least the sun is shining and grass still available from the cemetery!
unfortunately I haven't your gorgeous garden and piggie palace:roll:... I had to remove two armchairs from the living room! But that run can be moved everywhere and I remove it during the afternoon when the piggies are free in the kitchen.
Today the sun is shining here, too, yesterday I had to pick up the grass under the rain in a hurry...

Like @rome_italy advice re getting foldable run from Zooplus. If you can afford this just make sure that it’s safely tied etc to prevent it falling over!
My C& C grids fell over and it could have been disastrous as my boars detest each other.
yes, there is a metallic stick for fixing the pieces and if you need, you have to add something else

Hello @makocali :wel:.
We here on this forum are piggie lovers and will help best we can.
1st off me is brilliant and well done taking on Mako after your brother lost intrest. Big well done.
Mako needs protection asap he's been subject to a lot of change and his little world is all mixed up.
Don't worry I'm sure all this can be sorted and get to a evel where all piggies and you are happy. Have you tried the two new ones together i know thats not solving the idea of gettin mako a mate but it could help with space.
it's not you that makin these problems it's the nature of the beast and little piggies can be. Use this forum and great advise is here.. Best wishes.

View attachment 81193

View attachment 81194

Hi!

How big is your cage and have you removed any hideys with just one exit?

Please take the time to read this very detailed guide here. It talks you through all scenarios from a short trial separation to allow the underpiggy to have their say on whether they are still OK in the bond to your various options after a permanent separation. Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Personally, I would separate for good. Another attack is an accident waiting to happen the next time the hormones strike. :(

Please also make sure that you disinfect any bite wounds with saline solution, ideally sterile one from the pharmacy. If these are deep (double pin prick bites to rump or neck), you may want to see a vet and discuss whether it is better to treat with an antibiotic to minimise the risk of abscesses forming.

We have got tips on temporary accommodation in this guide here. You can always scour your local free-ads for second-hand rabbit cages. Warm white vinegar and elbow grease can work wonders!
Temporary Housing Solutions?

But I want to suggest you something cheap for building a "cage" and accommodating the piggie: I have two runs bought on Zooplus (but you can buy it anywhere else). These runs are foldable and are made of 6 metallic pieces each. You can use one or two of them for making an extension at the cage or you can close the extension for the piggie who needs to be separated. I attach here some pictures so you can understand. I used these runs also for building a barrier into the kitchen when my boar needed to be separated from the girls.
This run allows you to change the room of the cage, it is foldable and easy to remove.
View attachment 81206
View attachment 81205
View attachment 81207
Your setup looks great! I’d love the buy from there but unfortunately, I live in australia, shipping costs more than the product itself!

Sounds like the little one was having hormone spikes, and Mako took the brunt of it. I see you mentioned you bought the two four months old together, is there any chance they can be re-introduced?
Thanks for your reply! Thats a really good idea actually, I’ll definitely have a shot at reintroducing them once Cali is all healed up

Hello @makocali :wel:.
We here on this forum are piggie lovers and will help best we can.
1st off me is brilliant and well done taking on Mako after your brother lost intrest. Big well done.
Mako needs protection asap he's been subject to a lot of change and his little world is all mixed up.
Don't worry I'm sure all this can be sorted and get to a evel where all piggies and you are happy. Have you tried the two new ones together i know thats not solving the idea of gettin mako a mate but it could help with space.
it's not you that makin these problems it's the nature of the beast and little piggies can be. Use this forum and great advise is here.. Best wishes.
Thanks so much, your response really reaffirmed for me that I’ve done the right thing with all of this. I’ll try the 2 new pigs together again once Cali is all healed up and work at it from there. Thanks again, this forum is truly amazing!

Forgot to mention if you do rebonding the babies and out out together put their cage next to makos cage that way he can still interact with them.
They may obsess at the cage wall for sometime if you do decide to do this just an FYI
Thanks for the advice, they’re all right next to each other now and interacting through the wire very positively haha so I’m hoping that there’s still hope for them to get along when the settle in better and hormones die down

Hi!

How big is your cage and have you removed any hideys with just one exit?

Please take the time to read this very detailed guide here. It talks you through all scenarios from a short trial separation to allow the underpiggy to have their say on whether they are still OK in the bond to your various options after a permanent separation. Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Personally, I would separate for good. Another attack is an accident waiting to happen the next time the hormones strike. :(

Please also make sure that you disinfect any bite wounds with saline solution, ideally sterile one from the pharmacy. If these are deep (double pin prick bites to rump or neck), you may want to see a vet and discuss whether it is better to treat with an antibiotic to minimise the risk of abscesses forming.

We have got tips on temporary accommodation in this guide here. You can always scour your local free-ads for second-hand rabbit cages. Warm white vinegar and elbow grease can work wonders!
Temporary Housing Solutions?
Thanks so much for the great advice. All hideys have 2 or 3 exits, and their cage currently is approx 1m x 80cms, not as big as I’d like but I’m hoping to ask my handy Dad to knock something together that’ll be much bigger. They’re currently seperated and am visiting the pharmacy tomorrow to treat Cali. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the great advice. All hideys have 2 or 3 exits, and their cage currently is approx 1m x 80cms, not as big as I’d like but I’m hoping to ask my handy Dad to knock something together that’ll be much bigger. They’re currently seperated and am visiting the pharmacy tomorrow to treat Cali. Thanks again!

Is Cali noticeably happier when on his own or is he desperate to get back to his mate? In the first case, please do not try to put them back together.

When your dad knocks something together, please make sure:
- it can be split into two cages with interaction for the boys for mutual stimulation if they don't get on
- you use unwashed bedding and hideys and rub any new bits, so the new cage smells like their territory and it doesn't trigger a re-establishment of the hierarchy, i.e. more fights.

Back