• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Handling new piggies and floor time

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I rescued two piggies Saturday morning and I’ve managed to stroke them a little and the more confident one Luna seems comfortable eating in front of me but Dougal seems timid and hasn’t come out a lot, I did pick up Luna for roughly five minutes to see how she’d feel and she didn’t seem to try to run or anything but made no happy noises either, she let me know when she wanted to go back to the cage. But neither of them have taken food out my hand yet so I’m just wondering what should I begin to do to earn their trust? Tomorrow will be my third day with them so should I try hold them? What do I look out for to make sure they’re not scared/upset , also should I do floor time so soon or is it best to wait, any tips really appreciated I just want them to trust me, I’ve not heard them wheek yet or look at me for food so I’d love to experience that, I know patience is key I just want to make sure I’m doing the right things!

Hi I rescued two piggies Saturday morning and I’ve managed to stroke them a little and the more confident one Luna seems comfortable eating in front of me but Dougal seems timid and hasn’t come out a lot, I did pick up Luna for roughly five minutes to see how she’d feel and she didn’t seem to try to run or anything but made no happy noises either, she let me know when she wanted to go back to the cage. But neither of them have taken food out my hand yet so I’m just wondering what should I begin to do to earn their trust? Tomorrow will be my third day with them so should I try hold them? What do I look out for to make sure they’re not scared/upset , also should I do floor time so soon or is it best to wait, any tips really appreciated I just want them to trust me, I’ve not heard them wheek yet or look at me for food so I’d love to experience that, I know patience is key I just want to make sure I’m doing the right things!

Hi!

Three days are a very short time for piggies; most take longer to find their bearings. Settling in fully is generally a matter of weeks or even months and not a matter of a couple of days. I would not throw more new territory at them until they are fully confident in their cage.

Please use the tips in the guides below to make friends with your piggies in ways that make instant sense to them by using their own interactive behaviours and social thinking for the communication and not wait until they have figured out the humans.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

I’d say give them some more days (up to 5) to settle in before you start handling or trying to hand feed. As for floor time, give them some more time to get used to their new home. You’ll then be able to judge if they’d enjoy it. When you do eventually get to it, have plenty or hides in there for them.

Hi!

Three days are a very short time for piggies; most take longer to find their bearings. Settling in fully is generally a matter of weeks or even months and not a matter of a couple of days. I would not throw more new territory at them until they are fully confident in their cage.

Please use the tips in the guides below to make friends with your piggies in ways that make instant sense to them by using their own interactive behaviours and social thinking for the communication and not wait until they have figured out the humans.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
When would you say is a good time to start handling them? I’m just worried they might not trust me ever as sometimes they seem quite scared, I use regular words when I wake up and see them and I stick to a feeding time the same each day so any tips would be great, I read those over and over! I have done the face wash mimic but they seem to look at me funny🤣

I’d say give them some more days (up to 5) to settle in before you start handling or trying to hand feed. As for floor time, give them some more time to get used to their new home. You’ll then be able to judge if they’d enjoy it. When you do eventually get to it, have plenty or hides in there for them.
Okay thankyou, so many different forums and websites all say different it gets confusing, one forum on Facebook said that handling should be done after a month or so!

When would you say is a good time to start handling them? I’m just worried they might not trust me ever as sometimes they seem quite scared, I use regular words when I wake up and see them and I stick to a feeding time the same each day so any tips would be great, I read those over and over! I have done the face wash mimic but they seem to look at me funny🤣

I generally wait with handling (unless there is a health issue) until any new piggies are joining the begging crowd and are taking food off my hands. The piggy whispering tips really help with building up trust faster. Please accept however that trust is a plant that needs time to make roots first before it can thrive.

There is never a given 'that's it' time that you can measure in fixed days. It entirely depends on the piggies in question and the dynamics in your home and with yourself. I know that the urge to hold your piggies and cuddle is very strong, especially with your first piggies; but not pushing the initial stage too much will reap you greater rewards in the long term as the relationship is not only dominated and dictated by your own desires but also by respect of your piggies' wishes. while there are a few cuddlers, the majority is not all that keen.

Don't reduce your relationship to just the narrow stereotypical cuddling scenario when you can interact in so many different ways and make life fun without your hands on your piggies... it is this kind of interaction that gives spaces to your piggies that gives your relationship an extra dimension and depth of mutual appreciation.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

I generally wait with handling (unless there is a health issue) until any new piggies are joining the begging crowd and are taking food off my hands. The piggy whispering tips really help with building up trust faster. Please accept however that trust is a plant that needs time to make roots first before it can thrive.

There is never a given 'that's it' time that you can measure in fixed days. It entirely depends on the piggies in question and the dynamics in your home and with yourself. I know that the urge to hold your piggies and cuddle is very strong, especially with your first piggies; but not pushing the initial stage too much will reap you greater rewards in the long term as the relationship is not only dominated and dictated by your own desires but also by respect of your piggies' wishes. while there are a few cuddlers, the majority is not all that keen.

Don't reduce your relationship to just the narrow stereotypical cuddling scenario when you can interact in so many different ways and make life fun without your hands on your piggies...
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Okay thankyou! I’ll be sure to watch them and look out for when they are ready and seem more comfortable, they’re just so cute😂but I want more than anything for them to be happy so I’ll do anything

Okay thankyou! I’ll be sure to watch them and look out for when they are ready and seem more comfortable, they’re just so cute😂but I want more than anything for them to be happy so I’ll do anything

Just serving veg in a paper bag (any handles always cut off) or hay toilet roll inners, and watching them is so much fun for both parties. And it also helps to build trust if your piggies see you as the source of fun and not just the source of grabby and touchy hands... ;)

Just serving veg in a paper bag (any handles always cut off) or hay toilet roll inners, and watching them is so much fun for both parties. And it also helps to build trust if your piggies see you as the source of fun and not just the source of grabby and touchy hands... ;)
I’ve got a kitchen roll tube stuffed with hay and they’ve already made me laugh playing with it😂they’re so funny

Back