• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hanging nail and growth

sammjenner

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello there! I came home from vacation yesterday (my mother watched over my pigs) and when I walked into my room, Henry didn’t greet me like usual. He didn’t squeak or run over to me. I thought that was a bit odd, but ignored it.
Well, today I went to pick him up and noticed blood all over his right foot. After inspecting him, I noticed his nail was hanging off, and there was a growth on the bottom of his foot. I cleaned the skin around the nail up a little and it’s no longer bleeding, but the nail is a purple/red/brown color. The growth on his foot is the same color as his nails which is tanish.
I put him in a smaller cage (I have a c&c cage he
usually lives in) just to keep an eye on him. He is having issues walking on it and he seems very skiddish. He is drinking and eating and going to the bathroom fine. I planned on cleaning the nail a little bit more in the morning, and soaking his foot in salt water. Should I be too worried? Should I go try and see a vet, or clean it up a bit and soak it? Is there a way to try and ease the pain for him? The little guy has barely moved from the corner of the cage since I placed him there.
The picture shows the nail hanging off. i’m not able to take a picture of the growth, but as I said, it’s the same color as his nails.
Any comments would help me out, thank you!
93E7176B-4169-466B-BE13-FEC1996F62BA.jpeg

Cyaneatscarrots

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I believe that youshould consider seeing a vet. If he has barely moved after you noticing him limping then it's quite likely he's in quite a bit of pain.

Is there anything in the cage that he could have caught his foot on? If so, i would remove that item.
Best of luck!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to go to a vet for them to have a look at this and also check the rest of his leg. If he's barely moving he could have done some serious damage but also could pick up an infection through the injury.