• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hay Mites Or Mange Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinn&sugarmybbs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, my older guinea pigs have been losing hair for a while (like shedding no bald spots) and are itchy occasionally. I have two New Guinea pigs and they started doing the same exact thing. They scratch the back and are losing hair now. I already did 2 spot on treatments (ivermectin). What should I do now? Any recommendations? The vets said they didn't have mites because they look fine..... I need to take matters into my own hands now.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
hi, my older guinea pigs have been losing hair for a while (like shedding no bald spots) and are itchy occasionally. I have two New Guinea pigs and they started doing the same exact thing. They scratch the back and are losing hair now. I already did 2 spot on treatments (ivermectin). What should I do now? Any recommendations? The vets said they didn't have mites because they look fine..... I need to take matters into my own hands now.
Mange mites you cannot see; they burrow their eggs in the skin. Of fur/hay mites (which are sometimes called static lice because of the egg cases) you see only the tiny egg cases attached to the hairs on the bum end; it looks on light coloured guinea pigs as if a pepper mill has been used over their back end. Fur mites themselves are near invisible.
If you see pale things crawling in the fur, then you are dealing with lice.
As fur mites do not burrow into skin, they can sometimes be tricky to get rid of, even though they are the least worrisome of all guinea pig skin parasites.
Please also take into consideration that a fungal skin infection could also be in play; this requires different treatment.

Please be aware that pet shop spot-on treatments are too low dosed to do the trick; you need to look for a high dosed good quality ivermectin product (if that doesn't work, selamectin as in Revolution has worked in some cases).
A full course of ivermectin consists of 3-4 rounds at the product specific interval.

I am linking these US based links; as you can find recommended brands available where you are.
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus
Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss
Gorgeous Guineas Identification

The3LittlePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There are three, hay lice, running lice and mites as described above. If you can physically see the lice; little white creatures big enough to see, like pin pricks but slightly longer, then they are running lice and can be treated easily with pet store spot on. Likewise, if there are black dots on the pigs hair or "eggs," these are hay lice and can be treated similarly. However, the symptoms you are describing seem more like those for the above, which definitely require a vets attention (obviously a different vet to the one you used before) as skin mites are the worst of the parasites and can cause seizures and more.

cinn&sugarmybbs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There are three, hay lice, running lice and mites as described above. If you can physically see the lice; little white creatures big enough to see, like pin pricks but slightly longer, then they are running lice and can be treated easily with pet store spot on. Likewise, if there are black dots on the pigs hair or "eggs," these are hay lice and can be treated similarly. However, the symptoms you are describing seem more like those for the above, which definitely require a vets attention (obviously a different vet to the one you used before) as skin mites are the worst of the parasites and can cause seizures and more.

Thank you both. I'm ruling it to be skin mites then. I cannot see anything. I know it isn't fungal or lice.

Would it be okay if I do revolution? I can buy that offline. My guinea pigs have taken it in the beginning (October) and it seemed to work.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both. I'm ruling it to be skin mites then. I cannot see anything. I know it isn't fungal or lice.

Would it be okay if I do revolution? I can buy that offline. My guinea pigs have taken it in the beginning (October) and it seemed to work.
I am not familiar with the correct dosage and how many rounds you need to give it as it is not a UK brand or regularly used by our American members, so please make sure that you resarch it via Guinea Lynx.

Status
Not open for further replies.