• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay racks

Munching Maniac

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need advice on hay racks because at the moment I give my guinea pigs a pile of hay but after a while they walk on the hay and wee on it so I have to replace it. It would be easier for me to have a hay rack but I don’t know if it would help or not. I don’t mind diy so if you have a good hay rack diy I would be happy and grateful.

Hello everyone,
I need advice on hay racks because at the moment I give my guinea pigs a pile of hay but after a while they walk on the hay and wee on it so I have to replace it. It would be easier for me to have a hay rack but I don’t know if it would help or not. I don’t mind diy so if you have a good hay rack diy I would be happy and grateful.
But wee’d on hay is the tastiest.

I use a litter tray. They don’t care about wee so I don’t either!

I have hay bags and hay trays, and in all honesty my pigs love the large piles of hay for nesting, playing and weeing on!
They get the entire tray replaced every 2 days, and it is still their favorite way to eat hay.

I use the hay bags for special (aka expensive) hay, but otherwise they get large handfuls in their trays to do with as they please.

F8761B94-1EC0-4C32-9BA4-CC30B6972BDA.jpeg

Also I’ve also made diy hay racks out of those plastic bag holders and out of one of those cubes (bend it and then zip tie it to cage)

The plastic bag holders are not recommended. There have been several incidents of piggies getting stuck in the holes!, some fatal.

I made a hay bag for the boys, and would sometimes find them INSIDE the hay bag 🙄 But they do prefer a pile of the stuff. Fudge in particular likes to sleep on the hay. Toffee not so much.

Back