Help Please , Angry Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi we have a one year old femal who's friend died so we got her a 4 month old friend back I'm November. They got on brilliantly until last week when we had a shock. Our New Guinea pig had babies! Only two and sadly only one actually made it. They are all in a indoor cage due to the weather and I've let them run around the hall way and split them up every so often so the mum and baby can have some quiet bonding time. In the last couple of days our eldest pig had started shaking it's bum, making weird noises and charging and I think biting the others. I'm not sure what to do for the best? Advice please x

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
First things first please get your pigs properly sexed as it sounds to me that you have one male and one female. If this is the case then you are likely to have a second pregnancy on your hands by now.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
hi we have a one year old femal who's friend died so we got her a 4 month old friend back I'm November. They got on brilliantly until last week when we had a shock. Our New Guinea pig had babies! Only two and sadly only one actually made it. They are all in a indoor cage due to the weather and I've let them run around the hall way and split them up every so often so the mum and baby can have some quiet bonding time. In the last couple of days our eldest pig had started shaking it's bum, making weird noises and charging and I think biting the others. I'm not sure what to do for the best? Advice please x
Hi and welcome!

Could you please tell us how old your babies are and whether auntie sow is actually living with the group or not? From the behaviour, I assume that you are coming towards or are in the weaning age when babies lose their special protection and are firmly put at the bottom of the existing hierarchy. At the same time, nursing mums also lose their special status and the hierarchy is reshuffled if the mum is an underpiggy.

What you are seeing is typical dominance behaviour, but it is still all in the mild and acceptable range. It is not angry and not violent - and unlike you, the guinea pigs understand it for what it is. The biting is called nipping. it is a very carefully judged power gesture by which the dominant piggy is letting the underpiggy just feel its teeth, but no more.
Here is more information about the various behaviours, which you will have to brace yourself watching over the next week or two.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Sow Behaviour

Please keep mum on the pregnancy diet for another 2-3 weeks after the end of the weaning stage, so she can replenish her own body.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/

It is very important that you separate any male babies at 3 weeks old.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies.109391/

We have got a pregnancy/baby section, which is only visible to registered members.

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is really available and possible where you are and don;t have to keep it general.
Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Layla

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First things first please get your pigs properly sexed as it sounds to me that you have one male and one female. If this is the case then you are likely to have a second pregnancy on your hands by now.
It would seem that the new New Guinea pig was already pregnant when we got her in November x

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
It would seem that the new New Guinea pig was already pregnant when we got her in November x
Oops sorry for my previous post, November is already feeling so long ago that I didn't realise it was in the right time frame

Layla

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ha ha the Christmas months all blur into one. X

Status
Not open for further replies.