• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Random Seizing And Weakness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockafella

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I apologize if there are any errors in my spelling but I typed this out in a panic.

This is very much my fault but now I need to know what I can do to help my piggy. Artie is two years old and has always been in good health. I have been struggling with money and this week I was unable to feed him pellets so I fed him lettuce and carrots as a substitute. I went out to get him pellets and when I went to feed him I noticed he wasn't leaving his little house. When I picked it up his legs were splayed backwards and he was on his side seizing. In a panic I picked him up and cradled him close til he stopped. I quickly set up a few towels and a soft blanket then settled him in on my bed. At first he was unresponsive, weak, shallow breathing, and obviously exhausted. For the first twenty minutes I thought he was going to die and I tried to get him to sip on his water bottle or eat a pellet but he wouldn't have it. I decided to crush up some carrots and his pellets with lots of water. I put it into a syringe and he took to that better than his solid food. After an hour he came to and even took a little nap and now he's moving around slowly under the blanket. Before hand any time I moved him or tried to pick him up he'd squeal and chitter his back legs would also shake/vibrate violently so I've been to afraid to touch them since. So far he he seems okay but as mentioned above I have no money or even a vet that checks on small animals such as him within two hours of where I live. Btw I'm from the US not the UK.

Hello I apologize if there are any errors in my spelling but I typed this out in a panic.

This is very much my fault but now I need to know what I can do to help my piggy. Artie is two years old and has always been in good health. I have been struggling with money and this week I was unable to feed him pellets so I fed him lettuce and carrots as a substitute. I went out to get him pellets and when I went to feed him I noticed he wasn't leaving his little house. When I picked it up his legs were splayed backwards and he was on his side seizing. In a panic I picked him up and cradled him close til he stopped. I quickly set up a few towels and a soft blanket then settled him in on my bed. At first he was unresponsive, weak, shallow breathing, and obviously exhausted. For the first twenty minutes I thought he was going to die and I tried to get him to sip on his water bottle or eat a pellet but he wouldn't have it. I decided to crush up some carrots and his pellets with lots of water. I put it into a syringe and he took to that better than his solid food. After an hour he came to and even took a little nap and now he's moving around slowly under the blanket. Before hand any time I moved him or tried to pick him up he'd squeal and chitter his back legs would also shake/vibrate violently so I've been to afraid to touch them since. So far he he seems okay but as mentioned above I have no money or even a vet that checks on small animals such as him within two hours of where I live. Btw I'm from the US not the UK.
I am sorry that you are having such a stressful time, but your piggy is very ill and needs to see a vet if only to ease his suffering. No vet will turn him away as this is an emergency. Call any vet now

I'm sorry he is so poorly, but I agree with @pig in the city that we can only advise that he sees a vet, he sounds very poorly. I appreciate that it is not as easy in the US to find a vet and that many don't offer payment plans but he really does need to see one.

He's been trying to sleep but has gotten restless due to his leg hurting. Whimpering, fluffing of his fur, shaking, and teary-eyed is how I can tell he's in pain. I called the closest vet that would possibly take him and since it's Martin Luther King day they closed early and said they can only help him in person tomorrow morning at 8:00AM. Still I'm going to look for a vet nearby. For now i'm going to try my hardest to keep him comfortable and make sure he eats. Is there anyway to reduce the pain? Medication I can get over the counter or in small dosages?

The main pain reliever he would be prescribed (not over the counter) is Metacam. There are a few others, but it is one of the safest and most common pain relievers for guinea pigs, although you will probably get a dog one. I think it is Loxicom is America Pnina version though. Another pain reliever is Buprenorphine, but this is a controlled drug. I don't think there is anything over the counter you could get for him.

Do you have any recovery food? Oxbow Critical Care is a good one. For the moment, mash up his pellets with water and syringe feed every hour or two, even through the night if he's really not eating. A sick piggie needs to eat around 60ml food a day. I recommend a 1ml syringe. He may also need water, if he is very weak. Again use a 1ml syringe. I cannot stress the importance of encouraging him to eat hay, as that will be the best thing for him. If he doesn't eat enough, he will go into gut stasis which can be fatal, unfortunately and can cause digestive and even dental issues for quite a while (been through this and it's so emotionally, physically and mentally draining).

He really needs to go to a vet. Unfortunately he is so ill, he cannot be treated at home, apart from just keeping him fed, warm and hydrated.

Try and keep him calm and relaxed as stress may make him worse. If he has any favourite cosies, let him enjoy them. Does he have a cage mate?

Also, carrot and lettuce won't have caused this, but could give him mild tummy upset, but I doubt anything this extreme.

I wish him better x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back