• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Something stuck on coat near mouth.

heejung

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just discovered this thing on my guinea pig’s chin. At first, I thought it was vegetable juice that hardened his fur again. But then I looked closer and thought maybe a piece of food or something was stuck. But it doesn’t look like food and I can’t get it out. It’s solid and hard and seems to be stuck to his fur but I’m afraid it’s something growing on him? Does anyone have an idea on what this might be and how to get rid of it?115614

It does look like some sort of growth, but to be honest I have never seen something like this before.
I am sure someone with more experience will be along shorty.

In the mean time he really needs to see a vet for a proper diagnosis and a treatment plan.
Hopefully it is a just a minor skin growth and can be easily managed.

A few days ago I used coconut oil to clean his grease gland. I tried my best to wash out the oil but because I didn’t have guinea pig shampoo, not all of the oil was washed out. Do you think maybe it got around his mouth while he was cleaning himself and that’s why he has this?

I don't think this would cause a lump like that to be honest.
How is his weight and general behavior?
Is he eating and drinking ok?
He really does need to see a vet for a proper diagnosis though.

I just discovered this thing on my guinea pig’s chin. At first, I thought it was vegetable juice that hardened his fur again. But then I looked closer and thought maybe a piece of food or something was stuck. But it doesn’t look like food and I can’t get it out. It’s solid and hard and seems to be stuck to his fur but I’m afraid it’s something growing on him? Does anyone have an idea on what this might be and how to get rid of it?View attachment 115614

Hi!

I haven't seen anything like this before. It rather looks like something soft stuck to the fur that has then hardened than a skin growth. Hopefully it will come off on its own eventually.

Whatever this is, if you look closely, you can see stains behind the whiskers on our left, next to the mouth

I don't think this would cause a lump like that to be honest.
How is his weight and general behavior?
Is he eating and drinking ok?
He really does need to see a vet for a proper diagnosis though.
His weight, behavior, eating/drinking pattern are all normal and the usual

Thats no growth i dont believe. You can see something has rubbed down his face and stuck on the fur. Go to a vet if your worried. That wasnt meant to sound blunt. But just incase maybe?

Could you maybe hold a warm flannel/cotton wool pad on it and see if it loosens a bit? In case it is something like food stuck in his fur? Can see the smear on the fur like @SkyPipDotBernie has said.

My Luigi had a little bit stuck (rock hard) in his fur above his top lip that he managed to pull off with his excitement on the day he came to me, the hairs growing back and no issues so guessing it was very hard veg slop! Slightly orange like that too!
If not a vet trip prob a good idea like already suggested! :)

Back