• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help Swiss And/or Rex Guinea Pigs Required Urgently!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, My 2 daughters and I were due to pick up our 3 female guinea pigs last week but due to extenuating circumstances of the breeder we cannot have them anymore. My daughters are devastated, well so am I! The whole of their summer holidays has been spent choosing them and getting ready for them.

We were due to get 2 swiss and 1 Rex female guinea pigs. Is there anybody out there who have these breeds that will be ready in next couple of weeks. Either babies or young juveniles. We are near Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

Hi there, have you checked to see if there are any rescues in your area? Nobody breeds on this forum, perhaps look in the rehoming section of the forum too? I wish I'd have gone to a rescue, my two guineas I got from an 'experienced breeder' ended up being a girl and a boy, and they were sold to me as two girls. The beauty with rescues is that they will already be bonded for you, there is a rescue locator tool at the top of the page, hope this helps.

There are lots of piggies out there in rescue that need loving homes - you are also guaranteed that they will come to you in good health and bonded with another / other piggies - many a person has bought from a pet shop or breeder only to find that a few days later some health issues such as mite or ringworm show up that were not apparent upon collection of piggies - it can be a very expensive lesson indeed - I would also champion getting them insured with exotic direct (the only people who insure guinea pigs )- my vet bills this year for 3 pigs is over £1600 - it can be very expensive if they fall ill.

Hello there. Sorry for your disappointment. We are a pro rescue forum rather than advocating piggies from breeders or pet shops. There are a number of excellent rescues on our rescue locator who may have the perfect piggies for you to adopt for your daughters. Many are already in well bonded pairs or trios (so less chance of a fall out) and will have undergone a quarantine and pregnancy watch. Also they are generally (but not always) less skittish, having been handled well in the rescue. Good luck finding some new piggies.

Hello! :D
I can understand how dissappointed you are, however, as we are a pro rescue forum we advise you look into rescue piggies first, before you try to find any breeders. Here is the rescue locator:
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

If you find any rescues near you may want to give them a ring and ask if they have any piggies of your preferred choice :)

Just tagging @pig in the city because she is very active rehoming piggies for BARC and is based in Sheffield.
Hope all goes well in your search, it is worth not panic buying and instead researching and getting the right piggies for you and your daughters - exciting times for your family!

Hi @Woody, we don't have any of the specific breeds you mention available but if you would like to contact me via PM l can give you my number to discuss the piggies we do have available. Lots of the piggies we get in rescue are from dubious breeding establishments often missexed and pregnant. Definitely adopt rather than buy as all our piggies are health checked and properly sexed and have pregnancy excluded. Plus we offer lifetime support and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back