• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help With Bonding My Males!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greensn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two males, Louie, two year old abyssinian rescue, and Norman, a silky, about 4 months old. I adopted Lou a few months ago through the rescue I foster for, and I thought best to get him a friend. So I got a very small baby, Norman about a month ago. They both have their own (very large) cages near each other so they can smell one another. I quarantined Norman for about a week (I got him from the pet store I work at and had him checked by our vet for signs of illness). Both are in perfect health.

I have a very large ex-pen (about 60" across and easy to manipulate and expand). I laid down fresh fleece in a neutral territory and gave lots of fresh veggies. It has been a month now and they have moments where they lay down on either side of the pen after lots of humping (all Louie at this point), and some fights, no blood drawn so I didn't intervene . I can tell Lou, my adult pig, is dominant, but he doesn't seem to let it go! He chases Norman a lot and challenges him and seems to chase him when Norman gets comfortable! Apparently while I was out of town, my friend who watched them said they just humped each other a lot and didn't fight, but as I'm watching them today Lou is acting up again. What should I do? I am so in love with both pigs and will not give one away, is this ever going to improve? Does it have anything to do with Norman becoming sexually mature? Please help! I also have videos if someone wants to look at them and tell me if they're normal.

Your little boy is at the start of his teenage months, so that can contribute, as his hormones will have woken up.

Here are tips on how to work out whether Norman wants to be with Lou or not. You can do a short trial separation still with interaction through the bars. You have to see whether Norman wants to be back with Lousie or is perking up considerably when on his own. If the result is neutral, then they can still go back together. Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I'll try that. I notice that both boys start squeaking and popcorning when they her each other running around, and they get REALLY happy when they hear me set up the ex pen, is that a could sign? It's not stressed squeaking, it's positively excited

I'll try that. I notice that both boys start squeaking and popcorning when they her each other running around, and they get REALLY happy when they hear me set up the ex pen, is that a could sign? It's not stressed squeaking, it's positively excited

I would think that the bond is still viable. it is rather a matter of whether Norman will feel bulied at some point or not.

I notice that when Lou lays down , Norman still yawns (shows his teeth). How can I tell if Lou is rejecting him? What would be obvious signs that it isn't going to work out? And should I keep doing daily floor time with them?

I notice that when Lou lays down , Norman still yawns (shows his teeth). How can I tell if Lou is rejecting him? What would be obvious signs that it isn't going to work out? And should I keep doing daily floor time with them?

Lou is not rejecting Norman. It is more a case of whether Norman wants to be with Lou in the long run.

Well pigs like being together , so hopefully it'll work out. I've got two big separate cages for them until Normans hormones settle down. You've been so helpful! I've been stressing terribly for weeks over this ! :,(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back