Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley C.

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, i have 2 guinea pigs and I've done a lot of research but i'm still a little lost. They seem so scared of us. We have had them since July 2016 and we talk to them daily, hold them daily. But it just seems like they are still scared. They hide anytime anyone enters the room. Only time they are active and vocal is when there is no one in the room with them. What can i do to help get them more social with me and my kids.

lailajayne3

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!
Hand feeding veggies really helped my two become a lot more confident. In the first few months when I was taming them, every time they had their veggies I would make sure I sat next to the cage and hand feed individual bits of pepper, cucumber etc and eventually they began to realise that I wasn't scary at all :)

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey,first I do suggest reading what @LisaAli has put a link too and congrats on becoming a piggy mum! Now all piggies take different times to become relaxed around you- sometimes a whole year. I've only had two pigs and my sow was so much easier to 'tame' then my boar. Where do you keep them? Maybe try putting them in a quite place for a few days until they are comfortable there then gradually add more noise until they can fit into a more noisy and active setting. Food is a great persuasion and hiding food around the cage and in the open could make them more eager to come out. Another good idea is to give them a small something whenever you enter the room so they associate you with rewards- which equals fun. My piggy wouldn't come out his house at all for about two weeks and if he was he'd just freeze when he saw me. I played youtube videos to him when I wasn't there so he got used to voices- yeah I know crazy! Then he gradually became more confident when I spoke to him. I would also leave my hand in the cage sometimes for over an hour for him to come and sniff so he knew that my hand didn't mean danger. He isn't particularly fond of handling so I keep it to a minium and since then he isn't so worried that I'm only there to pick him up. I hope this helps but I'm sure your piggies will come out their shells soon. :l

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. Would love to see photos of your piggies.
Piggies are prey animals, and it takes them a while to overcome the instinct to flee. Even piggies who are very used to you will suddenly flee if they see an unexpected shadow or a strange noise (mobile phone, cough, sneeze etc). So making sure you always announce yourself when you arrive is a good idea. I talk to my piggies in a calm, soothing voice like I'm talking to a baby or toddler as I approach. This removes the element of surprise and helps calm the piggies. Other than that, you need patience, kindness and bribery with herbs/grass/or veg treats. Always works with my piggies and foster piggies. They may never be piggies who are keen to be picked up, but in time they will learn to come to you for treats and food and will allow you to pet them and give them chin rubs in the cage.

Ashley C.

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
Hand feeding veggies really helped my two become a lot more confident. In the first few months when I was taming them, every time they had their veggies I would make sure I sat next to the cage and hand feed individual bits of pepper, cucumber etc and eventually they began to realise that I wasn't scary at all :)
Oh man, every night and every day we all do this. They absolutely will not eat anything from our hands. But i will keep on trying. I now realize it could take some time and lots and lots of patience.. Thank you very much

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try not to beat yourself up- it shows your committing with your willing to be patient. I'm sure you'll soon be rewarded with a piggy kiss very soon and the wheeks of hungry pigs! Good luck from me and my noisy pig Mo.

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
it is a very rewarding experience when piggies trust you,it has taken some of my piggies a year before they come to take food from my hands.persistence and patience are the attributes you need !:)

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try feeding them when they are in their hidey houses, with a spig of coriander see if they'll take it from your hand. They probably will as they are feeling secure in their house, do this a few times then try to entice the head out a little to take, but if not pop it in. Keeping doing this and soon the heads will pop out for food. We had to do this with Putt our first piggy on the right of our avatar and she became the only pig who would ever climb up on me for cuddles. Keep at it you will do it in time.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.