• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

hiding too much?

bumblebea04

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!
I’m a bit concerned about my piggies, I took them to the vet last week and they both had URI’s, I just finished both of their rounds of antibiotics yesterday. They’re both 3 months old and I just got them a couple weeks ago, but they seem to have regressed a bit with being scared. I had them separate for a few days to ensure the URI’s didn’t worsen but when I reunited them in their new, bigger cage, they seem to stay in their hideys all the time. It’s been a few days and their weight has been trending down but not concerning amounts, and I see them eat sometimes, but they seem to stay hidden and run away from me, when they weren’t before when they were apart. Any advice? Thank you!

Now they have moved into a new environment and had been through a separation they are likely scared and need time again - it’s a lot to go through in one go.
You will need to go back to basics regarding settling them. Cover their cage with a blanket to help them feel more secure, gently talk to them as you approach the cage (predators approach silently so you need to do the opposite), sit by their cage and talk to them etc.

We dont recommend separating piggies during an illness, due to the issues it can cause. Separation would not have prevented the URI from worsening. Even if one piggy shows symptoms and the other doesn’t, we still don’t recommend separating as the other piggy had already been exposed to the bacteria anyway so it would not prevent the other from catching it. However, the separation would likely have caused stress and can, in some cases, affect their relationship (cause refusal to go back together again) which is why we don’t recommend it. The stress of separation can also lower the immune system and make it harder to recover from an illness. Being with their companion at all times can really help them recover and feel secure.
Should they go through an illness again, it is much better to keep them together through it.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

How much weight have they lost? As they are young, they probably can’t afford to lose much as even a little is a higher proportion of their body weight.
A URI and antibiotics can cause them to lose their appetite so stepping in with syringe feeding is important when hay intake is impacted. (Weight loss is due to reduced hay intake and hay intake cannot be gauged by eye).

Now they have moved into a new environment and had been through a separation they are likely scared and need time again - it’s a lot to go through in one go.
You will need to go back to basics regarding settling them. Cover their cage with a blanket to help them feel more secure, gently talk to them as you approach the cage (predators approach silently so you need to do the opposite), sit by their cage and talk to them etc.

We dont recommend separating piggies during an illness, due to the issues it can cause. Separation would not have prevented the URI from worsening. Even if one piggy shows symptoms and the other doesn’t, we still don’t recommend separating as the other piggy had already been exposed to the bacteria anyway so it would not prevent the other from catching it. However, the separation would likely have caused stress and can, in some cases, affect their relationship (cause refusal to go back together again) which is why we don’t recommend it. The stress of separation can also lower the immune system and make it harder to recover from an illness. Being with their companion at all times can really help them recover and feel secure.
Should they go through an illness again, it is much better to keep them together through it.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

How much weight have they lost? As they are young, they probably can’t afford to lose much as even a little is a higher proportion of their body weight.
A URI and antibiotics can cause them to lose their appetite so stepping in with syringe feeding is important when hay intake is impacted. (Weight loss is due to reduced hay intake and hay intake cannot be gauged by eye).
hi thank you for the information, my vet had recommended separation so that is why i went through with it. i ended up bringing them back together a day earlier than he recommended because i could tell they were more sad apart.
i set up another vet appointment tomorrow to check on their weight, as well as the URI. their weight has been dropping by about 10lbs/day, over the last four days, so i went ahead and called the vet just to be safe. i also let them both have floor time in my room last night and it seemed to help a lot with their fearfulness around me :)
i’ll be sure to read up on the articles you linked i appreciate it a lot!

hi thank you for the information, my vet had recommended separation so that is why i went through with it. i ended up bringing them back together a day earlier than he recommended because i could tell they were more sad apart.
i set up another vet appointment tomorrow to check on their weight, as well as the URI. their weight has been dropping by about 10lbs/day, over the last four days, so i went ahead and called the vet just to be safe. i also let them both have floor time in my room last night and it seemed to help a lot with their fearfulness around me :)
i’ll be sure to read up on the articles you linked i appreciate it a lot!

Sometimes vets can underestimate the importance of social animals always being kept with their companion even when unwell. Most usually there is absolutely no benefit or need to separate them. I have never separated any of my animals when one is unwell.

I think you’ve made an error in how much weight they are losing - 10lbs per day is more than they would weigh in their entire life!
Any weight loss over 50 grams requires you to step in with syringe feeding.
If you mean they are losing 10 grams a day then if the weight loss has continued today you should step in and assist them.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Back