• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

High protein in urine?

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought some of those at home urinalysis dip sticks when we had a UTI scare with one of my boys. Since then, I have periodically been testing their urine for any abnormalities.

Over the past few weeks, I have realised that the result seems to come up with high protein content (but nothing else). BUT the weirdest part of that, is that this happens on and off. For example, I might swab one wee, which gives me a positive protein result, and then I’ll swab the next wee a few hours later and it’s totally normal. It seems to happen to both of my boys. It also seems that when the pee is quite cloudy and milky, the test comes out positive for high protein, but when their wee is clear, it comes back completely normal. Also it comes back as “high protein” on occasion when my boys decide to spray wee around.

I’m very concerned, but also confused by how much this fluctuates. Does anyone have any insights? Is it worth a vet visit, or is it likely to be dietary?

Attachments

• 3CA3FC5B-103B-4C1E-81E3-30DF01617337.jpeg
    3CA3FC5B-103B-4C1E-81E3-30DF01617337.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
  • E4411198-D497-4113-8B6B-08FF5451E2E9.jpeg
    E4411198-D497-4113-8B6B-08FF5451E2E9.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 5
I’m afraid I only really use the test sticks to test for blood when I think someone has a UTI. I have never tested except when there are symptoms so I don’t know what is “normal” for piggies. I think if no one is symptomatic, and of the result is only low (+/- or +) I wouldn’t worry too much, but it may be an idea to discus with your vet if you are worried.

I bought some of those at home urinalysis dip sticks when we had a UTI scare with one of my boys. Since then, I have periodically been testing their urine for any abnormalities.

Over the past few weeks, I have realised that the result seems to come up with high protein content (but nothing else). BUT the weirdest part of that, is that this happens on and off. For example, I might swab one wee, which gives me a positive protein result, and then I’ll swab the next wee a few hours later and it’s totally normal. It seems to happen to both of my boys. It also seems that when the pee is quite cloudy and milky, the test comes out positive for high protein, but when their wee is clear, it comes back completely normal. Also it comes back as “high protein” on occasion when my boys decide to spray wee around.

I’m very concerned, but also confused by how much this fluctuates. Does anyone have any insights? Is it worth a vet visit, or is it likely to be dietary?

Hi and welcome!

Test sticks and compulsive daily or several times daily health monitoring can become a source of obsessive behaviour for people with anxiety issues.
I would strongly recommend not to use any test sticks, especially not on symptom-free piggies because the testing usually only stresses you out without doing anything for the piggies. There are always daily fluctuations. Persistently high protein in urine can be a symptom of an urinary tract infection, but you are NOT reporting that or any other symptoms that are typical for the onset of one.

'Pet anxiety' is a mental health condition that can sadly suck all the joy and fun out of pet keeping and turn it into an overcontrolling obsession. If you notice the signs in yourself, please turn the health checking side over to another person if at all possible - for your own happiness!

As long as your guinea pigs don't show any symptoms, a weekly weigh-in and body once-over is perfectly adequate.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide

HI,protein in the urine can sometimes indicate a urine infection.if you are concerned just put it by your vet.i agree with all the above posters,do not test unless needed.it can cause too much anxiety.enjoy your piggies.

Back