• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hogging igloos!

Nattzzz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got two New Guinea pigs Marble and Jinx for my guinea pig Cinnamon that has been alone for quite some time. They’re doing all the regular bonding, Cinnamon is humping them, they’re sniffing, Cinnamon chases them, etc. Cinnamon often annoys them by going to the food bowl and water at the EXACT time they are, but I see no problems with it. The only issue I’m seeing is Cinnamon constantly hogging the igloos. I have one igloo that could fit one guinea pig and another that’s huge and can fit up to 3. It’s been going on for quite some time, and I’m quite a paranoid person and I know igloos retain some heat, and I’m a bit afraid the others may get cold. I just want to know if this behavior will stop, it’s been going on for quite some time. Is it just another way of cinnamon showing who’s dominant? Is this normal? Any advice/comments?

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.
:wel:

You say you have 2 igloos which is good, but you would be better off having 3 (or ideally 4), so that every pig can have their own.
Although guinea pigs can sleep together, many prefer to sleep on their own and may not choose to share, even if the igloo on offer is quite large.
So maybe try removing the large igloo and placing 3 at different places around the cage so that Cinnamon can't hog them all.
They don't have to be igloos either - a cardboard box with a door cut out makes a perfect good home and can just be replaced when it gets dirty.

I recently got two New Guinea pigs Marble and Jinx for my guinea pig Cinnamon that has been alone for quite some time. They’re doing all the regular bonding, Cinnamon is humping them, they’re sniffing, Cinnamon chases them, etc. Cinnamon often annoys them by going to the food bowl and water at the EXACT time they are, but I see no problems with it. The only issue I’m seeing is Cinnamon constantly hogging the igloos. I have one igloo that could fit one guinea pig and another that’s huge and can fit up to 3. It’s been going on for quite some time, and I’m quite a paranoid person and I know igloos retain some heat, and I’m a bit afraid the others may get cold. I just want to know if this behavior will stop, it’s been going on for quite some time. Is it just another way of cinnamon showing who’s dominant? Is this normal? Any advice/comments?

Hi and welcome!

Hogging the best accommodation is part and parcel of dominance behaviour. Most piggies actually do not snuggle up; that is a common misconception. Even snugglers will usually spend part of the night apart.

In pairs or groups where this is a particular and persistent issue, I prefer to place log tunnels next to each other, so that every piggy has got exactly the same and no piggy can be locked in or chucked out. It has really worked to diffuse stress levels and daily squabbles in those groups and pairs. The other option is having exactly the same at different ends of the cage, but I would recommend to opt for hideys or cosies with two exits rather than on. You can use a warming microwavable snugglesafe if you feel your piggies need additional warmth in winter.

IMG_8153_edited-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum
If you’re worried about the piggies getting cold why not consider fleece tunnels?
I have 2 of the wooden bridges as in @Wiebke ’s picture plus a selection of tunnels in the cage for 3 sows. Mine will sleep back to back but rarely snuggle up.
Please can we see pictures of your piggies

Welcome to the forum
If you’re worried about the piggies getting cold why not consider fleece tunnels?
I have 2 of the wooden bridges as in @Wiebke ’s picture plus a selection of tunnels in the cage for 3 sows. Mine will sleep back to back but rarely snuggle up.
02545541-48C0-404C-8134-63F7661EC98A.jpegHere’s a pic of my piggies! Cinnamon is on the left, marble the middle, and Jinx on the right! Thank you for your advice about the fleece tunnels, do you know in particular where I can purchase them?

Welcome to the forum
Hi and welcome!

Hogging the best accommodation is part and parcel of dominance behaviour. Most piggies actually do not snuggle up; that is a common misconception. Even snugglers will usually spend part of the night apart.

In pairs or groups where this is a particular and persistent issue, I prefer to place log tunnels next to each other, so that every piggy has got exactly the same and no piggy can be locked in or chucked out. It has really worked to diffuse stress levels and daily squabbles in those groups and pairs. The other option is having exactly the same at different ends of the cage, but I would recommend to opt for hideys or cosies with two exits rather than on. You can use a warming microwavable snugglesafe if you feel your piggies need additional warmth in winter.

View attachment 107975
I will consider getting some, I have one log and I decided to put it back in thanks to your comment.

I will consider getting some, I have one log and I decided to put it back in thanks to your comment.

Just make sure that you have two of them as soon as you can. chucking out will still happen, but it is not quite as stressful. ;)

I’ve bought from Pampered Piggies as well as some of those already mentioned.
Browse Etsy - there’s a wide range of sellers there.
Your girls are all beautiful- hope we will see lots more pictures of them

Another option for a hidey, is seagrass tunnels. I ended up with 4 carrot cottages, two bendy log tunnels and two seagrass tunnels in my cage, and the guineas loved their playground, hah. But I always find the more places they can hide, the better. It won't stop them from coming out to say hello, but I feel it makes them much more comfortable.

I agree you definitely need the same amount of tunnels of pigs you have. I have 4 total sleeping places for only two pigs. I have a huge tunnel they can sleep in, a igloo, wood tunnel and a cuddle sack so they have plenty of options so please consider adding more igloos!

I’ve bought from Pampered Piggies as well as some of those already mentioned.
Browse Etsy - there’s a wide range of sellers there.
Your girls are all beautiful- hope we will see lots more pictures of them
Thank you very much, it’s hard to get pics of the boys they don’t like staying still, only cinnamon lol. I’ll try to take some soon though!

Back