How do i stop my guinea pig from nipping me?

sionedlily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So i've had my two girls (alby ad birch) for about two months now and they're making really good progress: they're pretty comfortable with letting me pet them in their cage, will come right up to me to take food and such and for the most part are comfortable and happy being held. however one of them (birch) will occasionally give me a nip that draws blood (not much blood though) when i'm holding her and i'm not sure why? she shows no signs of being scared before she does it so i can only assume it's her way of telling me she wants to go back in the cage? i'm not sure why she goes straight to biting though? my other guinea pig gets really chatty when she wants to be put back down and has never bit me. is there any way i can stop birch from nipping me like this?

sionedlily

New Born Pup
Reaction score

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So i've had my two girls (alby ad birch) for about two months now and they're making really good progress: they're pretty comfortable with letting me pet them in their cage, will come right up to me to take food and such and for the most part are comfortable and happy being held. however one of them (birch) will occasionally give me a nip that draws blood (not much blood though) when i'm holding her and i'm not sure why? she shows no signs of being scared before she does it so i can only assume it's her way of telling me she wants to go back in the cage? i'm not sure why she goes straight to biting though? my other guinea pig gets really chatty when she wants to be put back down and has never bit me. is there any way i can stop birch from nipping me like this?
Hi!

Try some of the piggy whispering tips from this thread here. By assuming authority but also ensuring that you love your piggy, you are mimicking the way socially adept enabler piggies deal with their mates; it means that you are making total sense to them. ;)
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?