• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How Old Is Your Guinea Pig!

cinn&sugarmybbs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering how old everyone's guinea pigs are. Also if you have one that passed away what age did they live to. I read online they usually live 4-8 years so I wanted to see how truthful that is!

Hi, my four rainbow bridge pigs were 2 (womb infection), 4, 8 and 6. I have no idea how close to their next birthdays they were. My current three are only 18 months old

My pigs went at 5 , 5 1/2 , 6 , 6 1/2 and I currently have a 6 3/4 year old and a 7 1/2 year old still going strong - although I think about 4 -5 seems to be the average.

I lost one at around 2 and another at 5 or 6. My current pair are 7 months old.

Currently of my 7 pigs I only actually know 3 of their ages. Tina and Maya are just coming up 2 years old. Daisy is almost 2 and a half now. Flash I have literally no idea I always guess around 3 as I have had her 2 years now. Prodigy is around 4 years but might well be older. My two boys I was told were both around 2 years old but they couldn't be sure.

The oldest pig I have had was Chucky who was 7 and a half when he passed peacefully in his sleep.
I have had other pigs who died 4 weeks after getting them young,Lottie who passed from a sudden illness at 2 and Dotty died of dental issues at 2 and a half. It does really depend on the pig and if they have any underlying unknown issues or if they get an illness they don't recover from.

The oldest piggy I had lived to be 8, but I have heard of some living into double figures. My more recent losses have been between 3 and 6 years old and my oldest pig is 6+ (not sure of her exact age).

My first piggy a blue rex sow called: Vinny lived to two years after she contracted what was believed to be meningitis and was sadly euthanised. My abyssian X boar called Mo has already had a hasty visit to the vets after a URI scare (great start lol) but he was alright and turned 1 in January 5th though I owned him a year on 23Rd of February :)

George just passed away aged 5 years. He had a couple of trips to the vet (eyes and teeth) over the year we had him. Lily is doing fine at age 4 and so far (touch wood!) no health complaints.

I used to look after a herd of 40 (mix of females and neutered males) all rescue piggies (part time voluteer job) and they tended to live to 6-8yrs old. We lost only a fee younger than 6yrs old in the 4 years I cared for them. That said my first (pet) boar died of a brain tumour at 4 1/2. :(

We've had several pigs over the years...
Linney (lived to be 6 years and 3 months.)
Frenzy (lived to be about 20 months, sadly had a severe dental infection and died of sepsis/infection.)
Sundae (lived to be 6 years 9 months.)

Currently we have two pigs- Hadley is presently about 2.5 years old, Leela is just a baby, around 9 weeks or so.

This grey teddy is my old girl Clover. She is 7 and going strong 20170131_142021.jpg

Hi

Most of mine lived to 5 but Daisy was 8 when she passed and she was healthy pretty much all her life. She survived mamary tumour surgery aged 7 but a sudden stroke caused her death at 8. I miss her.

Taini was 7 nearly 8 when she was PTS, And Georgia was only around 4 when she passed away,
My current Guineas are Lottie at 4,
Baby is 4/5
Bear is 7/8
and Anya and Aurora are only around 1 year old.

Lenny was 5 and a half and Gizmo was nearly 6 when they trotted over the Rainbow Bridge. I now have Betsy and Velvet who are around 17 months old and Velvet's offspring Meg, Dennis and Christian (surprise shop litter!:yikes:) who are 14 months old.

Cookie was 3
Beano was nearly 4

My three at the moment Peaches is 4, Smudge is 3 and Luna is 2

I have not had a piggy pass away yet, thankfully.

My current piggies are:

Edna, age unknown, told over 2 years
Eva, age unknown, told over 2 years

Eileen 11 weeks

Eden, Emmett and Ellie 3 days!

Moonpig is currently 8 1/2, though she's a little unwell atm. Her sister Mitzi died in her sleep about 3 1/2. Hermione was 7 1/4 when she died peacefully in 2009, her sister Galadriel died early, around 11 weeks from sudden acute diarrhoea, despite the vets best efforts. My first piggy family, Merlin, Dad, was about 4, mummy Lady Gemma was a similar age, and their daughter Guenever was about 4 or 5. Their sons, Arthur died at an early age , due to a fall when the lock on his hutch failed, and Lancelot had to be rehomed after neutering, as he was too dominant, and attacked poor Merlin continually, resulting in Merlin being blinded. I don't know who he went to, so don't know how long he lived.

Back