• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My guinea pig was eaten by a big ole husky today. Outside my house I had a patch of grass I usually let my piggy’s eat from while I’m cutting grass. Today my neighbour took his dog out to walk and when he came back my brother got scared and the guy said “Don’t worry he is gentle dog” next thing I knew the dog bolted onto my 5 guinea pigs (2 adults and 3 babies). I quickly shooed him away without knowing the mother was in his mouth. I quickly grabbed it out of the dogs mouth and got myself bit. The guinea pig ran for a little while and I quickly placed her in a box she was twitching and then she fell onto her back with her eyes wide open but she didn’t move. I didn’t have money for a vet so I tried to revive her but it didn’t help. Sadly now I don’t know what to do with the babies since they are only 2 weeks old and now their mother can’t feed them since she has sadly passed away at the age of 4months. The babies keep trying to drink the fathers milk. Should I take legal action against my neighbours since they did nothing for my pig.

I’m sorry you find yourself in this situation. I think given she was in his mouth nothing could have been done for the mum except take the pain away. It’s likely that the mum may have started slowly weaning the pups so continue with plenty of hay, their usual veg and pellets as you have been. I don’t know whether you’ll be able to take legal action against your neighbour though.

Another matter of urgency is that you sex the pups. You should have been weighing them every day. If not please start now. Any boars will need to be separated at 250g or 3 weeks, whichever comes first. You’ll also have to separate dad at the same time. The ideal situation is to have two sows and one boar. The sows can then live together and the boar pup with dad.

If you have one sow and two boars, you will have to house the sow next to the boars so she still has some interaction. But it will be best if you can find her another sow to live with.

Another thing is you shouldn’t let them graze on grass that may have been urinated on by a dog (or fox).

Lastly, vet costs are one of the biggest things with guinea pigs. They’re not a cheap pet so I think if you don’t have money saved for them then you need to start that now.

I’m sorry for your loss.

@Wiebke and @VickiA are the pregnancy/pup experts so can give you better information regarding the pups left behind.

Have a read of the guides below.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...pport-feeding-orphans-and-tiny-babies.159468/
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Just had a thought. Was dad neutered or he’s still intact?

Last edited:
My guinea pig was eaten by a big ole husky today. Outside my house I had a patch of grass I usually let my piggy’s eat from while I’m cutting grass. Today my neighbour took his dog out to walk and when he came back my brother got scared and the guy said “Don’t worry he is gentle dog” next thing I knew the dog bolted onto my 5 guinea pigs (2 adults and 3 babies). I quickly shooed him away without knowing the mother was in his mouth. I quickly grabbed it out of the dogs mouth and got myself bit. The guinea pig ran for a little while and I quickly placed her in a box she was twitching and then she fell onto her back with her eyes wide open but she didn’t move. I didn’t have money for a vet so I tried to revive her but it didn’t help. Sadly now I don’t know what to do with the babies since they are only 2 weeks old and now their mother can’t feed them since she has sadly passed away at the age of 4months. The babies keep trying to drink the fathers milk. Should I take legal action against my neighbours since they did nothing for my pig.

Hi!

I am ever so sorry for what has happened. Fright and shaking by a predator can kill piggies very quickly. You should be able to reclaim any ensuing vet cost from the neighbour whose dog has killed your mother piggy through her lack of control over her dog. You can also report her to the police for not restraining her dog on public ground.

However, I would most strongly recommend to use a covered run to prevent your piggies from bolting when frightened and from being protected from any predator attack. Otherwise stop exposing your piggies to an open area altogether. Saving up for vet care on a weekly or monthly basis as part of your regular maintenance cost is crucial. Freedom from pain and any unnecessary suffering is one of the five basic internationally recognised animal rights; this includes vet access for pet owners. Healthy guinea pigs have an average life span of 5-7 years during which they are highly likely to need so see a vet sooner or later. Illness and emergencies NEVER happen at a convenient time but small animals like piggies cannot wait until your convenience; by the time they are showing symptoms, they need to see a vet rather promptly.
A guide to vets fees, insurance and payment support.

Your babies are now at weaning age and are able to survive on a normal solid hay based diet. Babies shift from mostly drinking to mostly eating solids during the second week of their lives. The weaning process is a gradual process that starts at 2 weeks of age and is in full swing by 3 weeks of age. Guinea pig pups are born precocious, i.e. able to survive on their own from pretty much within 2-3 days after birth.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
After-birth-mother-and-baby-care

Please be aware that you need to sex your babies around 2 weeks of age and that you need to separate any baby boars by 3 weeks or 250g of weight; whichever happens sooner. If you have the dad (I sincerely hope separated before your mother has given birth as sows come into season again withing hours of giving birth), then any boar babies can go and live with him.
Please keep in mind that the earliest documented sow pregnancy is 24 days, so any girls need to be away from any boars over 21 days of age. Guinea pigs start making babies nonstop until they die as soon as they are weaned.
More information in this link here: Sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies

Gosh what an awful thing for you to experience. So sorry for your loss x

I am so sorry, what an awful experience for you, sending hugs x

I’m sorry you find yourself in this situation. I think given she was in his mouth nothing could have been done for the mum except take the pain away. It’s likely that the mum may have started slowly weaning the pups so continue with plenty of hay, their usual veg and pellets as you have been. I don’t know whether you’ll be able to take legal action against your neighbour though.

Another matter of urgency is that you sex the pups. You should have been weighing them every day. If not please start now. Any boars will need to be separated at 250g or 3 weeks, whichever comes first. You’ll also have to separate dad at the same time. The ideal situation is to have two sows and one boar. The sows can then live together and the boar pup with dad.

If you have one sow and two boars, you will have to house the sow next to the boars so she still has some interaction. But it will be best if you can find her another sow to live with.

Another thing is you shouldn’t let them graze on grass that may have been urinated on by a dog (or fox).

Lastly, vet costs are one of the biggest things with guinea pigs. They’re not a cheap pet so I think if you don’t have money saved for them then you need to start that now.

I’m sorry for your loss.

@Wiebke and @VickiA are the pregnancy/pup experts so can give you better information regarding the pups left behind.

Have a read of the guides below.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...pport-feeding-orphans-and-tiny-babies.159468/
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Just had a thought. Was dad neutered or he’s still in tact?
The dad is still in tact and the little baby boy keeps trying to drink the dads milk so I’m wondering do they still need milk?

What sex are the pups and how old are they in days? And how much do they weigh?

You had a response above regarding milk. I think they should mainly be eating solids at the moment so they don’t need milk I think. Read the guide and the post that is above as well.

Hi!

I am ever so sorry for what has happened. Fright and shaking by a predator can kill piggies very quickly. You should be able to reclaim any ensuing vet cost from the neighbour whose dog has killed your mother piggy through her lack of control over her dog. You can also report her to the police for not restraining her dog on public ground.

However, I would most strongly recommend to use a covered run to prevent your piggies from bolting when frightened and from being protected from any predator attack. Otherwise stop exposing your piggies to an open area altogether. Saving up for vet care on a weekly or monthly basis as part of your regular maintenance cost is crucial. Freedom from pain and any unnecessary suffering is one of the five basic internationally recognised animal rights; this includes vet access for pet owners. Healthy guinea pigs have an average life span of 5-7 years during which they are highly likely to need so see a vet sooner or later. Illness and emergencies NEVER happen at a convenient time but small animals like piggies cannot wait until your convenience; by the time they are showing symptoms, they need to see a vet rather promptly.
A guide to vets fees, insurance and payment support.

Your babies are now at weaning age and are able to survive on a normal solid hay based diet. Babies shift from mostly drinking to mostly eating solids during the second week of their lives. The weaning process is a gradual process that starts at 2 weeks of age and is in full swing by 3 weeks of age. Guinea pig pups are born precocious, i.e. able to survive on their own from pretty much within 2-3 days after birth.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
After-birth-mother-and-baby-care

Please be aware that you need to sex your babies around 2 weeks of age and that you need to separate any baby boars by 3 weeks or 250g of weight; whichever happens sooner. If you have the dad (I sincerely hope separated before your mother has given birth as sows come into season again withing hours of giving birth), then any boar babies can go and live with him.
Please keep in mind that the earliest documented sow pregnancy is 24 days, so any girls need to be away from any boars over 21 days of age. Guinea pigs start making babies nonstop until they die as soon as they are weaned.
More information in this link here: Sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies
Will they still need milk ?
What sex are the pups and how old are they in days? And how much do they weigh?

You had a response above regarding milk. I think they should mainly be eating solids at the moment so they don’t need milk I think. Read the guide and the post that is above as well.
there are 2 girls and 1 boy. I haven’t scaled them yet since I ordered a scale and I’m waiting for it to come.

there are 2 girls and 1 boy. I haven’t scaled them yet since I ordered a scale and I’m waiting for it to come.
As said, they’re able to survive on solid so no, they don’t need milk.

Do you not have any other scales? Even kitchen ones will work. When you have guinea pigs you should weigh them weekly as part of their lifelong health monitoring. But with pups it’s all the more important so you can separate any boars at the right time. It’s urgent that you now weigh them. Could you borrow some scales as it sounds like you won’t be getting them anytime soon. Or maybe buy some from the shop and just return the ones you’ve bought online?

How old are they in days exactly?

I would actually separate them now since they will all be paired up. Do you have the space to do that? The boars have to be housed securely so they can’t escape and get in with the sows. Is your hutch two levels?

Please answer all the questions. I’ve put them in blue.

PS please start putting money into a vet fund now. It’s important to have money available in case one of your piggies falls ill. They go downhill quickly and won’t wait for you to get money together. If you live with parents could you ask them to help you?

Last edited:

No, they won't need milk; they are thankfully old enough to fend for themselves as their weaning process is already underway. Your baby boy can go on living with his had but your girls need to leave the boys or they will become pregnant themselves by 3 weeks.

You will have to keep your two pairs out of sight and reach of pheromones (sows in season can cause boars to fight and fall out) in two different cages and never let them meet again. If sows are close enough to their season, they can come into it spontaneously; mounting and pregnancy happen too fast for you to be able to step in - the same speed as a dog attack. Guinea pigs don't do play time. Every meeting for them is a full-on bonding session for them. They live in established hierarchical groups; once they have formed them as soon as they live together, it is 'us' and 'them'. They don't know families the way we humans do.
We have the practical experience with that kind of mess with previous members, and it is not pretty. Keep in mind that the risk of complications goes up fast once you start playing genetic lottery by inbreeding. :(

I am very sorry but you are currently on a very steep and rather harsh learning curve.

As said, they’re able to survive on solid so no, they don’t need milk.

Do you not have any other scales? Even kitchen ones will work. When you have guinea pigs you should weigh them weekly as part of their lifelong health monitoring. But with pups it’s all the more important so you can separate any boars at the right time. It’s urgent that you now weigh them. Could you borrow some scales as it sounds like you won’t be getting them anytime soon. Or maybe buy some from the shop and just return the ones you’ve bought online?

How old are they in days exactly?

I would actually separate them now since they will all be paired up. Do you have the space to do that? The boars have to be housed securely so they can’t escape and get in with the sows. Is your hutch two levels?

Please answer all the questions. I’ve put them in blue.

PS please start putting money into a vet fund now. It’s important to have money available in case one of your piggies falls ill. They go downhill quickly and won’t wait for you to get money together. If you live with parents could you ask them to help you?
I don’t use kitchen scales here in australia so I ordered one online which will come in about 2-3 days hopefully. I’ve asked everyone I know and they only have scales for humans and the guinea pigs light weight wouldn’t show on it. They are about 13 days old. I have space to house them since I have another cage that is called guinea pig habitat and I have 3 of those. I have 2 connected hutches but they are not stacked on top. I’m working hard on getting them vet care and a check up I’m currently working 2 jobs.

So sorry for your loss.
What an awful experience for you.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

I wouldn’t use the connected hutches. Boars can be very determined when there is a sow (in season) nearby.

Is there no one with kitchen scales at all? Could we see some photos? Take lots as they grow up so quickly!

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but I would suggest you seriously consider surrendering one pair to a rescue for rehousing. If you struggle to have vet fees for one then it will be even more of a struggle for four.

I am currently working on giving away the girls to my friend who has another 2 girl guinea pigs! They have a massive hut in their back yard. The 2 girls will go to their new home by next week :). I do not have any kitchen scales sadly. These are the babies and put them in a box for goat milk feeding.BF23B7EE-21D2-421A-808D-8BE326262C13.jpeg

My dad is also currently constructing a 2 story cardboard hut for the piggies. Today I will go out to the store and look for some scales hopefully finding a kitchen one. They are eating solids but one of the babies keep following the dad I don’t know which she is doing.

My dad is also currently constructing a 2 story cardboard hut for the piggies. Today I will go out to the store and look for some scales hopefully finding a kitchen one. They are eating solids but one of the babies keep following the dad I don’t know which she is doing.

Hello, sorry for your sad situation.
Cardboard hut will be no good for your pigs. They will instantly pee on it therefore making it soggy and unsafe. Also the pigs will eat the cardboard and escape.
And please DO NOT give your babies goat milk. It is absolutely not good for them, you’ll do more harm than good. You no longer need to give them milk as others have said above. Lots of HAY and veg.

where abouts in Australia are you based?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back