• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I think i'm a bad guinea pig owner, please help.

D

Dm300419

so this is gonna be sort of a long rant and i don't really expect anyone to help or anything but somehow i feel like in real life i'm fell on deaf ears. i think i'm a bad guinea pig owner, not because i don't clean their cage or anything.. i clean their cage 2-3 times a week, and i feed them veggies and i love them to the moon and back but, i don't have any money. and before someone says "you shouldn't buy a guinea pig if you can't take care of them" the problem is when we first got these guinea pigs i thought we were doing fine, i'm AGE REMOVED BY ADMIN so i'm still living with my parents and so on. my dad is 50 plus and my mom hasn't worked for years but we are renting our house in finland so i thought we were doing fine, and we were...
when i first got my guinea pig it was meant to be like a "support" animal, cause i have heavy anxiety and went to spannish public school, though i was home schooled most of my life and don't even speak spannish. so my parent's bought my first guinea pig Hani as a sorry (in spain there's a law that residents need to go to public school, school until 16). my school was really bad and i hated it, then we got another guinea pig Peekaboo, hani ended up getting sick out of no where (when we first got her she had a UTI and we brought her to the vet, within a few days of owning her ) but that was months before this, i was scared to tell my dad she needed to go to the vet again cause he already screamed at me before, their dog people and think guinea pigs are some 20 euro rats. after a long fight and me crying to them, begging them to bring me to the vet with hani we went but it was too late cause she already was starved. after my dad went to finland to do some stuff hani died, i went to school.. i felt bad for Peekaboo since i "rescued her" (she was 4 when we got her and her last owners didn't want her anymore)i felt honestly heartbroken that hani died so early, she was my first pet and i still miss her. the thing is, I'm not allowed to go walk alone further than the park, but my dad kept going to finland and refused to burry Hani, i got really annoyed and disgusted that hani was in our balcony basically rotting, so after finally burrying hani (which took one month.) i wanted to take really good care of Peekaboo...
2, 3 months later peekaboo got sick too, she stopped eating and i was panicing and anxious everyday, again fighting with my family about bringing her to the vet but i didn't wanna lose another one, she had diarrhea.. my family just said she was old and just basically let her die, i was so annoyed and hurt by that. and they made me feel bad cause it made me feel like they didn't mean anything to them, when they have a 600plus euro Pomeranian (which i paid half for.) so the same day Peekaboo died we burried her, i was scared to be alone again and i wanted another guinea pigs that would last, and be happy and my dad promised he'd bring them to the vet, i even saved money. so we bought Cinnamon and Suga, i was sad but also happy, and we bought them very young, even a big cage. again same problem Suga had a eye infection, URI and cinammon had a URI. within 5 days of buying them, again big fight about going to the vet, their still alive and happy.

but on the 17th my dad went to finland and he got a heart attack cause hes valve or whatever was blocked, we don't have healthcare for outside of spain, and even in spain (i'm not sure, cause my mom wont tell me) so we have a huge bill waiting to come from finland hospital... my mom doesn't like driving and i'm not allowed to go walk to shops, i have some hay, dry pallets but it won't last until dad comes back and i don't know if we can afford having them (though we have 3 dogs, and they don't have a problem taking care of them) he cant even come by plane cause the doctor wont let him, so i'm here stuck feeling like a shitty parent. i honestly feel bad for my babies and even wanna adopt them cause even though i love them, things aren't going well. i agree that i was selfish for wanting two others after seeing how my family didn't care, and i'm still sorry for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry you’ve had all these problems. I think with things the way they are it’s best for you to find someone who can adopt them. It will break your heart but it’s for the best. And the sooner the better so they can get the care they need.

Are there any rescues in Spain that you could possibly surrender them to? Or you could put them up for adoption but charge so those who want to use them as food may be deterred.

Someone more knowledgable will be along to help you out.

hmm the problem is, pet store or rescues take really bad care of them.. especially in spain in "rescues", i don't have any friends in spain that are willing to take them from me either... i want the best for them cause their precious, there's a chance we're gonna move to finland again cause health care is free there and it would easier for my dad to get monthly check ups, medicin.. so i don't know if i should wait until things get better and be a bit cheaper now, like not buying multiple different vegetables and only hay, salad and dry pallets, or to actually adopt them.. it would be easier if i trusted some breeder or someone but the thing is their inbred in spain.. I'm pretty sure the 4 guinea pigs ive all had were sort of inbred
image0.png
but i have no doubt they could find a new family, their precious little babies

This sounds like an awful situation for you to be in. Please consider finding a rescue or another family that would be willing to look after them and ensure they enough food and vet care. I am sorry you are having to deal with this but you can't carry on and it would be the kindest but hardest thing to rehome them. I hope your father makes a good recovery.

I’m afraid that I agree. I’m so sorry that you’re going through all this but as heartbreaking as it’s going to be, the kindest thing you could do is rehome them. I’m sorry that you’re not in the UK where we have fabulous rescues.
I hope your dad makes a full recovery. My mum had a heart attack in 2005 and it’s so scary

I’m afraid I don’t think it can wait. As said above, it’s probably best you adopt them out to someone. The thing that stands out most is that they need vet care.

Also, how would you get them to Finland? And what happens if you don’t move there for another year? What makes you think all rescues mistreat them?

Sorry about your dad and the large bill that’s stressing your parents out. I hope he makes a good recovery.

Please be wary when putting your piggies with the dog. They’re all beautiful by the way 🥰

I am very sorry but I’m gonna have to delete your account. When you signed up for the forum you had to enter the date of birth that would make you over 16.

We do not allow members to register on the forum who are under 16 to allow us to comply with EU GDPR and US COPPA law. Unfortunately this means I have no choice but to delete your account later this evening.

Back