• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Want To Build A Piggy House!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking for some advice as again, this is new territory for me!

I've been looking at sheds/wendy houses/summer houses to be adapted into a piggy house for use in summer and winter, with loads of space to run around in, with the view of expanding my herd and with some sort of sealed water proof flooring as to not soil the wood. I'm also hoping to look at the cheaper options, I have plenty of time to save up to buy something but as long as it's perfect and very durable, the cheaper the better!

Can anyone set me on the right path? I'm assuming I shall have to get it insulated which will decrease the overall size inside. I need to look into some sort of heating that won't need a power source during the winter. I was also wondering what sort of waterproof flooring I could use, as I've read that Lino has the tendency to leak.

I would probably attach a run to it with a slide down door (like you see in zoo's) so I can close it off at night and during bad weather. Maybe have an adapted hutch in the shed, not really sure what will work best so I'd love any advice anyone can give me.

Also if you have a shed set up I would love to see some pics, I'm more of a visual learner XD

Thanks for reading!

I have a 8x10 shed, the hutches are actually built into the end with insulation between the shed wall and hutch wall. As it's near the house, I ran an extension lead in for heating and light, but there are some excellent solar systems on sale for very reasonable prices. I'm hoping to renew my shed floor and line the remaining walls, I'll put lino down on the new floor and put the new lining on top to keep it down.

Thanks for the replies!

@madguinealady I would love to give them their own room indoors, unfortunately I don't have the space :(

@BossHogg I did consider solar systems but figured they're expensive, I'll look into that though as I wouldn't be able to have a shed near the house.

How many piggies would an 8x10 shed happily house? I'd love to get one big enough to expand my herd, I'm wondering about cost as well though as I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm not sure if it would be worth getting one made or looking for something to adapt.

Also, Bella is an avid chewer so would what the shed's made out of be a factor? Just in case she ingested any of the wood, which I'm hoping she wouldn't but she does love to chew!

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure I do it right as I'm hoping to have a lasting house for them through all weathers (I'd bring them inside if there's extreme weather though).

My pigs love to chew, they have never chewed the shed, the rabbits have had a chew on the shed, just after I'd stained it, luckily I use non toxic pet friendly stain, so no damage to the buns. I'm having mega problems with my internet signal at the moment after moving my computer, once everything has settled down I'll post a picture of my shed. I have 2 hutches, one with 3 piggies and 1 with 2 rabbits. ;)

That's a relief, thanks! Glad the bunnies were okay! I'll have to invest in some pet friendly stain/protection too, any recommendations?

That would be fantastic, hope you get the internet sorted soon, it's a pain being without it! Mine went out a few weeks ago so I know how disruptive it can be lol!

I'll look at the tin in the morning. Sorted my internet, it's a cable fault, plugged my router in to the master socket and working wirelessly at the moment. ;)

Cheers! Can anyone suggest a particular shed brand or anything? Not really sure where to start :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back