• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Impaction And Neutering

KathT

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have a three year old boar who suffers impactions about twice a week. I have managed to reduce the size of the impactions by regulation of diet as I think I was previously overfeeding him veggies. He has lost a little weight as part of the new regime, which I expected, and has now levelled out. He is in good general health, eating well and whilst he does run around a bit when given floor time, he spends most of it splatted out sleeping somewhere! I have read the forum information sheet on neutering and impaction, so am unsure of what to do. Do you think the would benefit (impaction wise) from being neutered? I understand that the anal sac will reduce in size once he has been done but is he too old now for it to make much of a difference? Any advice gladly received.

I have a three year old boar who suffers impactions about twice a week. I have managed to reduce the size of the impactions by regulation of diet as I think I was previously overfeeding him veggies. He has lost a little weight as part of the new regime, which I expected, and has now levelled out. He is in good general health, eating well and whilst he does run around a bit when given floor time, he spends most of it splatted out sleeping somewhere! I have read the forum information sheet on neutering and impaction, so am unsure of what to do. Do you think the would benefit (impaction wise) from being neutered? I understand that the anal sac will reduce in size once he has been done but is he too old now for it to make much of a difference? Any advice gladly received.

The anal sac will contract at any age, but it is not going to eliminate impaction; two of my own neutered boars suffer/have suffered from it nevertheless. It just reduces the amount of built-up caecotrophs, but does nothing for the muscle strength that push out the poos.

I would strongly recommend that you discuss the pros and cons with a vet that you trust before committing.

Thanks Wiebke. I don’t want to put him through an op unnecessarily so will discuss it with my vet.

Back