• Potteries GPR Christmas Fair Saturday 16th November 2019 Information Click Here Come join us at the Forum Table at this Event.
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Infection Around The Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

at first my guina pig had a slightly wet nose, then it stared to look like a crusty nose, he had it before so I put some cream on it, the crust went away but now the skin around his nose is kind of dirty/crusty (not sure how to describe it). Anyone got an idea what could it be?
thank you

20160104_201253.jpg

Natalia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
he's not, he eats well, he plays normal, nothing unusual except the nose.

Natalia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@flintstones he does not, it started on Saturday - a little liquid appeared, then on Sunday some crust appeared that's when I used the cream, and today it looks like the above.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This how my little Milo's Uri started he remained bright and alert initially. I would advise a vet visit for antibiotics.

Natalia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
last time he had the crusty nose I went to the only vet around that seemed to care for piggies, the antibiotics did not help, I forced them into him for a week and no results, only the cream bought over the counter helped. is it possible that the infection is going away as the crust is gone? also, how is your guinea?

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Natalia the reason I asked if he had been sneezing was because my initial thought was a URI like @flintstones also mentioned. I would really get your piggy to a vet ASAP because they go downhill very very fast if it is a URI

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please have your piggy checked tomorrow; from your picture it is impossible to say whether the crust is simply from a blocked nose, respiratory infection or the beginning of cheilitis (lip infection caused by acidic fruit/tomatoes).

Status
Not open for further replies.