• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Injured or impaction?

Mack1465

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey there, two months ago me and my girlfriend purchased our second guinea pig from the pet store. He was very tame from the beginning, happy, timid, but happy. We named him Eddie. He is a long haired ginger colored piggy and the sweetest little guinea. Recently, he started acting weird, we thought he was taking a while to warm up with us but it seems he is injured as he started hopping with his back legs rather then walking. Keeping a close eye on him we realized he was sleeping in his own urine and seems to be be pooping less than our other guinea, Lenny. So we did research on the internet and it shows symptoms of impaction. We looked at his anal gland and it seems to be swollen and hard (almost seems like its bone, seeing our other guineas area is soft as it should be) i will include a picture attachment. Hes hunched, (seems happy), not skiddish of anything, sleeping in his own urine and hopping on his hind legs, hasnt been eating properly (thinking its due to his discomfort in walking). Anyone know anything that they can help.us with? We are in nova scotia canada and broke in college. So we cant afford the vet until friday and thats just for a checkup. We try to soak him to keep him clean, and hopefully soften his behind a little and he seems gassy. Help please :(

Attachments

• 20190501_222958.jpg
    20190501_222958.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190501_222945.jpg
    20190501_222945.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the forum! His genitals do look a bit abnormal. I'm not very knowledgable about the medical part of piggies, so a more experienced member will help you out. Hope all is well with Eddie!

Gia xoxo

I’d get him to a vet as soon as you can - that doesn’t look normal for a boar and doesn’t look like impaction I’ve had with my boars.

That is not normal and you really need to get your piggy to a vet asap.

The swelling is in the wrong place for impaction. Usually the swelling is around the back end/anal sac whereas you are showing a swelling in front of the penis. It sounds like it's causing problems with urination as sitting in urine often means that urine is leaking regularly or that he is pain and not moving out of it. He really needs to see a vet asap

Hey there, two months ago me and my girlfriend purchased our second guinea pig from the pet store. He was very tame from the beginning, happy, timid, but happy. We named him Eddie. He is a long haired ginger colored piggy and the sweetest little guinea. Recently, he started acting weird, we thought he was taking a while to warm up with us but it seems he is injured as he started hopping with his back legs rather then walking. Keeping a close eye on him we realized he was sleeping in his own urine and seems to be be pooping less than our other guinea, Lenny. So we did research on the internet and it shows symptoms of impaction. We looked at his anal gland and it seems to be swollen and hard (almost seems like its bone, seeing our other guineas area is soft as it should be) i will include a picture attachment. Hes hunched, (seems happy), not skiddish of anything, sleeping in his own urine and hopping on his hind legs, hasnt been eating properly (thinking its due to his discomfort in walking). Anyone know anything that they can help.us with? We are in nova scotia canada and broke in college. So we cant afford the vet until friday and thats just for a checkup. We try to soak him to keep him clean, and hopefully soften his behind a little and he seems gassy. Help please :(

Hi!

Please see a vet for an examination as soon as you can; the sooner the better as it is going to get worse and potentially fatal the longer you wait. :(

It could be a large semen rod that has stuck in the penis shaft causing an infection or an abscess, but in any case, it will need removing carefully and will require a strong antibiotic. The problem is obviously already pressing on the guts internally too and causing the gassing.

I am very sorry, but illness and emergencies never happen at a good time. Sadly far too many owners don't take into consideration that the largest budget post in their pets' lives are medical fees and fail to save up for them as part of their regular living cost. there are unfortunately no 'cheap' pets. :(

Back