Introducing Barney!

BenjiAndButtons

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After buttons, we decided the right thing for Benji would be a new friend. So we found and bought barney, little white and ginger munchkin! When we took him home, we discovered righworm, so he's just completed a month of treatment! Today was his first meeting with Benji, we set up a pen on neutral ground. Benji is 2 and a half years, Barney is around 11, 12, 13 weeks, the vet couldn't be certain but thought he was 8-10 weeks when we got him. Benji has previously caused some injuries to his last friend, so we were apprehensive about the meet, but to our suprise he was well behaved, if not annoyed by little barneys antics and pestering. Benji never seemed to show his dominance though, has anyone ever bonded a young pig with an older one? Any advise on how to let barney know benji is the boss?

20170701_215509.jpg

Guinea Mum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh the boys will work out between them who's boss. It may be obvious, or if you're lucky, subtle, but they'll sort it out. Sounds like the introduction went well! Barney is adorable. :)

MoorePiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck with the bonding. The boys will sort out their dominance between themselves. Just let nature do the hard work unless obviously they fight and draw blood.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I do believe it's possible to bond a young boar with an older one...I have without problems, but it's really down to individual personalities.

I echo Ruth, he's a lovely cheeky looking chap.

BenjiAndButtons

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks! It only took him days to figure out when his food was coming and who to wheek at for more food!

We just assumed Benji would assert himself as dominant, being much older, but he just seemed to scare Barney off and then walk away.