Is getting 4 sisters a good idea?

EveRose

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I am totally new here and have been researching all I can from this fabulous forum, I have had pigs in the past so am totally aware of all their needs. I am getting 4 piggy sisters at the end of this month and would like some advice if anyone can help me please?!

Firstly, is this a good idea.. I mean I know groups of sows get along but putting sisters together- are they more likely to squabble? I am just praying they will be okay as I have created a massive enclosure for them with an attached outdoor run (their enclosure will be a 10x6 shed!) so I know they have enough space. If the worst comes to the worst I can always introduce a neutered boar but I'd want that to be a last resort.

Is there anything I should be prepared for in regards to them getting along? I was hoping they would be fine seeing as they are litter mates.. I now think I may be wrong!

Please help I am stressing!

:wel:

Please don’t worry!

Whether a bond works comes down to character compatibility - the piggies have to like each other and want to be together and there is nothing you can do to influence that. No problem with getting sisters though!

Getting four is a good idea though - working in even numbers is best as there is no piggy left out. A trio for example runs the risk of two pairing off and theh you’ve got a one left by themselves all the time.

If they really cannot function as a quartet though, then adding a neutered boar isn’t going to make any difference - adding one won’t make then suddenly like each other. If they cannot get on as a quartet, then separating them into pairs is the best and only real course of action.

Thank you so much!
So would I be expecting a bit of dominance behaviour in the first few weeks as they begin to settle down?
I am just hoping they all love each other and are all compatible, if not yes separating them into 2 pairs is a good idea.
Thank you for your advice it is greatly appreciated!:P

Yes you would be expecting dominance. Any change of environment causes them to re-establish their relationship in a new territory.

Do keep using posted on when you get them!

How exciting. 😊. Can’t wait for updates from you with pictures of them all getting along 🤞.

Ooh so exciting! If I’ve made the wrong assumption then do please forgive me. Please make sure that you double check they’re all sows when you bring them home - as you put them in their shed.

Are they currently housed inside or outside? And will the shed be heated? If not you have to make sure you can keep them at a reasonable temp (15+) at night if they’re currently indoors.

Will they have a hutch inside the shed or will they be roaming inside the shed? We’d love to see your setup bin fact you could add a photo(s) to the shed housing thread.

I honestly am so excited! everyday I've gone into the shed to just stare at the enclosure, I am so inpatient!:yahoo:

That won’t stop when you’ve got them!
Mine live in a shed and I just stand there looking at the space and wondering if I can configure it differently. My New shed is arriving in approx 8 weeks and I lay in bed planning where I’m to put everything in the new layout!

Ooh so exciting! If I’ve made the wrong assumption then do please forgive me. Please make sure that you double check they’re all sows when you bring them home - as you put them in their shed.

Are they currently housed inside or outside? And will the shed be heated? If not you have to make sure you can keep them at a reasonable temp (15+) at night if they’re currently indoors.

Will they have a hutch inside the shed or will they be roaming inside the shed? We’d love to see your setup bin fact you could add a photo(s) to the shed housing thread.
Yes, I work at a vets (I am a Veterinary Nurse) so I am literally going to pick them up, take them to my vet friend to double check then taking them straight home! I think my partner would have a heart attack if any of them had babies!
And yes, they are kept outdoors at the moment so I will be insulating the inside with foil insulation with 2 opposite vents for air flow. I'm also getting my dad to put some electric in there for a heater in the coder months but I also have microwavable heaters!
The hutch is about 100cm by 200cm with a door to access the rest of the shed to roam but I think I may give the a permanent cat flap design to go into their run which will be attached to the shed.. do you think this is a good idea? just worried about predators like foxes:(

You would have to close the access to the run at night or anytime you can’t be around to supervise them. The hutch sounds like a good size. Are they going to have permanent access to the shed floor?

That won’t stop when you’ve got them!
Mine live in a shed and I just stand there looking at the space and wondering if I can configure it differently. My New shed is arriving in approx 8 weeks and I lay in bed planning where I’m to put everything in the new layout!
Haha! I lay in bed at night and my boyfriend asks me what I am thinking about... everyday for the last month I've said 'guinea pigs' 😂 he just rolls his eyes!

Piggies need to be kept warm and dry so while a cat flap/run around system is good, you will still need to be there to supervise the playtime and they will need to be shut in at night or when it’s too cold for them to go out.
Mine live in a shed and I physically remove them and put them into their run each time. I am looking into a runaround system at the moment.

I find summer harder work than winter with my shed dwelling piggies. The shed gets stifling hot very quickly - even a cold but sunny day can make things very warm. Last summer their shed hit 40 degrees and didn’t come down below 35 for two weeks. Piggies had to move into the house. Sadly I can’t get electric to my shed. So if you can get electric and a way of cooling as well as heating the shed then that would be a good idea

Haha! I lay in bed at night and my boyfriend asks me what I am thinking about... everyday for the last month I've said 'guinea pigs' 😂 he just rolls his eyes!

My husband doesn’t bother asking anymore - he knows I’m always thinking about my piggies and rabbits!

Prepare yourself. You’ll find yourself talking about poo consistency, whether they’re drinking, how they don’t like this veg or that hay 🤷🏾‍♀️😄

Piggies need to be kept warm and dry so while a cat flap/run around system is good, you will still need to be there to supervise the playtime and they will need to be shut in at night or when it’s too cold for them to go out.
Mine live in a shed and I physically remove them and put them into their run each time. I am looking into a runaround system at the moment.

I find summer harder work than winter with my shed dwelling piggies. The shed gets stifling hot very quickly - even a cold but sunny day can make things very warm. Last summer their shed hit 40 degrees and didn’t come down below 35 for two weeks. Piggies had to move into the house. Sadly I can’t get electric to my shed. So if you can get electric and a way of cooling as well as heating the shed then that would be a good idea

My husband doesn’t bother asking anymore - he knows I’m always thinking about my piggies and rabbits!

To be honest I am thinking of not letting the free roam in the shed unless I am there and only opening the flap for the to go into the run when I am around. I am happy with the size of the hutch at the moment, it is a hoe made one, it also has another floor with a ramp. There are still things i need to think about, but yes, apparently the foil can help keep it cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather but I will be putting a thermometer in there just to be sure.

If I'm being totally honest I am just worried If I am doing everything right, I'm really passionate about small animal welfare (being in the job I am in, the amount of poorly kept guinea pigs and rabbits out there is just so sad) and I just want to be the best pig mum I can be so any advise would be/ is greatly appreciated

Also get a hutch cover - thermal for winter. The extra won’t do any harm though if you’re to heat it then it’ll be fine.

Back