• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Reaction score
So I posted recently that my guinea pig started sneezing like crazy, I toke him to the vet and the vet said its too early and to only bring them back (the one who is sneezing and his brother) if they have nose discharge. However recently he started coughing, though I can't tell if thats because he eats and drinks like an animal and might be choking, and today he let me pet him and even allowed me to take a small eye booger off him with my fingers only closing his eye so I could get it, I have only had him for 1 week he should still be terrified. Even his skittish brother let me pet him and did not care. He did not move nor did he fuss. This is so not normal behavior to me should I take them to another vet? They are still eating and drinking and seem happy when I bring treats I'm so concerned but no one else in my family is. Also no crackling breathing from what I can hear. Please give me some advice!

Sometimes they will cough/sneeze when they eat or drink too quickly. How much is he sneezing now, and did the vet give him any medication when you took him?

Another thing is that piggies will ‘freeze in fear’ in order to chase off the ‘predator’. It may be he froze because of that instinct. They do use something from their eye to clean themselves so it may be that is what you removed when it dried on his eyes.

Keep an eye on his weight (weigh daily at the same time) and see how he goes.

The vet did not give them anything other then a vitamin C shot, he sneezes quite frequently but it did die down after awhile so its just maybe 5 or 6 times a day, and as for the weight he is actually gaining. I'm still watching for any discharge but I just wanted to make sure about the coughing which is kinda recent and the freezing is resent too, if thats what they are doing. Usually they would just run but this morning it was different. So it does make me act a little worried. Sorry I lost a girl 10 years back to URI and now I feel like its always around the corner with my two boys I'm just not used to their behavior and just being a bit paranoid. Thanks for the advice

you always need to rule out medical, as a URI is a serious issue, before looking to other possibilities such as irritation from bedding (if they aren’t on fleece) but hay dust is something which can cause them to sneeze.

its hard when they are new as you don’t know their normal but if you have concerns then do speak to a different vet.

Back