• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is It Boar Glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

(Hopefully the picture will show) Just wondering what boar glue actually looks like on fleece- weird thing I know but my boar Mo is on fleece and where he wees or sits he sometimes leaves white spots. Now in the picture (if it works ) the fleece has been washed but the white bits still remain. This is my first boar and though I don't believe/hope nothing is wrong I would like to know what it is.

Many thanks from me and Mo.

Heavy deposits of calcium can be a bit harder to get out of fleece. Calcium coming from the fringe of course, that could be another option.

Calcium from the fringe? But it's nothing to worry about? Thank you for quick response of feel kinda stupid for asking but just want to know as much as possible so I can do everything right- only had a sow before.

Oops, sorry. I didn't mean fringe...long finger nails. I meant calcium from there urine.
It's not stupid to ask, I've been on this forum for years and I'm still learning.

Some foods are high in calcium and should be fed in moderation to avoid issues in the future.

Once you manage to post your pictures, it might become clearer. @Jesse's pigs

What he leaves, sounds like calcium wees. This is the normal way of excreting excess calcium; you may notive the odd milky pee. These dry to a powdery white substance.

As long as calcium wees are only occasional, there is nothing to worry. If you see them on a daily or near daily basis, then you may want to rethink your diet, as too much calcium in the diet can contribute to the formation of bladder stones in the longer term.
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet
Guinea pig body quirks
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Thank you both- what veges can be given that don't have as much calcium. He does have a carrot or broccoli occasionally

Thank you both- what veges can be given that don't have as much calcium. He does have a carrot or broccoli occasionally

As long as calcium pees are not a frequent occurrance, there is no need to adjust your diet or to worry - it is a perfectly normal process. ;)
You will find our diet guide helpful in working out what you can feed safely how often if you want confirmation.

As long as calcium pees are not a frequent occurrance, there is no need to adjust your diet or to worry - it is a perfectly normal process. ;)
You will find our diet guide helpful in working out what you can feed safely how often if you want confirmation.

Thank u. It probably looks more because I don't wash/change the fleece everyday. Once again thank u for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back